Author Topic: We tried to catch some White Bass  (Read 6327 times)

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
We tried to catch some White Bass
« on: 11/03/11 10:08 UTC »
November 2nd. -  Decent weather; A little breezy, sunny; water 60 degrees.  Current was a little swift as TVA is dropping Joe Wheeler to winter pool.  First day on the water in 2 months ( I will use that as my excuse ). Should have caught some White Bass though.  Could not find them.  Wind kept us off most of our better spots.  The Humminbird showed some decent fish in several spots ( too big to be White Bass )
so we went to plan B. after trying to find some White Bass.  I posted a picture of the smallest catfish of the day in the gallery.  We had a "couple" of "a little bigger" fish.  A couple of more pictures to follow if Jason doesn't mind "trash fish" pictures.       

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Re: We tried to catch some White Bass
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/11 10:39 UTC »
There's no such thing as trash fish.   ;D

Here's a secret, for fun we go fishing for Bowfin.  Most consider them a trash fish, but they are a blast to catch.  As a rule Bass fisherman hate them because they destroy whatever the hit (can you say, "was that my new $10 spinner bait???").  I get a kick out of it as they hit like a freight train and are by far the hardest fighting fish in our lake.  They have a ton of teeth and you have to sneak up on them as they spook super easy...  They hang out in the super shallow slop around lots of veggies.  Most aren't nearly as nice looking as this picture (it must be one from up North).

http://www.briancoad.com/ncr/Amiidae.htm

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/03/11 11:25 UTC »
Back in BC ( Before Children )  when I bass fished a lot; I used to fish Santee Cooper in So. Carolina a good bit.  It had a healthy population of Bowfin; and Chain Pickerel.  And, yes, they will make your heart stop when they smash, ( and trash ), baits in shallow water. I agree; pound for pound; they fight.  The Chain Pickerel would put on air shows too.

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #3 on: 11/03/11 12:48 UTC »
I caught a 13lber bowfin last year in 15ft of water, 8ft was thick hydrilla. What a fight!!!

I was dissapointed that it was not a huge bass but punching thick hydrilla is a sure fire way to get a "trophy" bowfin!!!

Jim

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: 11/03/11 13:24 UTC »
13lbs!!! :o

My PB is only 7lbs.  I've heard we have them as big as that in the lake.  I can't imagine the fight that dude must have put on.  You probably thought you had the new world record!

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/03/11 13:43 UTC »
I landed a bowfin last weekend (the first one I ever landed) after helping an old guy on a dock land an 8lber. Mine was a lot bigger...I would estimate in the 12+ range. Completely filled my bass net. Scary darn thing!

Got it on a small swim jig with a MadDadxl trailer...he chew the thing to bits!

We also get them swimming up our holes while ice fishing for a gulp of air. Talk about scaring the *&^% out of you! I've seen guys go flying off their seats when one of those things pokes up through a hole! Like some kind of horror movie. :o
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: 11/03/11 14:05 UTC »
Looks like I'm slacking with my little ones.

I would pay money to see the reaction of one poking it's head through an ice hole.  I bet it would scare you to death.  If you read the info in the link I posted they claim they are directly related to prehistoric fish.  They're no joke!  Between them and the gators I always shine a light on fish before I lip them at night.

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 11/03/11 14:10 UTC »
I've never caught one and hope I keep that streak alive!

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/03/11 16:28 UTC »
Here...."lip land" one of these! Plenty of lip....to land!

Sheepshead on a jig and MadDad craw

Or maybe this one (caught on a nylon fly)
« Last Edit: 11/03/11 18:25 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/03/11 20:13 UTC »
Andrew;  Nice drum and gar pictures.   Upper Mississippi, I guess.  
There are several things Joe Wheeler & Wilson are known for.  Big catfish; Blue Cats primarily.  There are also Drum, lots of drum; and Buffalo; big buffalo.  Drum will hit almost all of the various baits I use for both buffalo and cats.  Gar; now that's another matter  :-X.   
« Last Edit: 11/04/11 00:26 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/03/11 20:25 UTC »
I think we need to "influence" Jason into a nylon rope based plastic to make gar lures!!!!

Once everyone else lands a big gar...or big sheephead....they will forget about those wimpy laregmouth!!!!!

If I could figure out how to consistently catch 10lb sheephead (fresh water drum)...I would start  S.A.S.S. and we would put B.A.S.S. out of business!!! :P

Seriously though (or at least as serious as I get...) read the book "Fishing for Buffalo" and VERY well written book....and we may all expand our angling adventures! It's all about the big tug!

http://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Buffalo-Pursuit-Cuisine-Suckers/dp/081666532X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320369769&sr=8-1

Viva la Gar!  (we got to be driving Jason crazy!!!).

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #11 on: 11/04/11 10:39 UTC »
Alligator gar get HUGE here also. The other "thing" we hook up with that can cause some heart stopping fun is the grass carp. The can be 100lbs and only no they are not coming to the boat! You think you have a striper but you are only in 5ft of water and grass! Many times they are a foul hook victim also so that adds to the FUN!

Jim

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #12 on: 01/22/12 21:12 UTC »
Andy...that Black Drum is FINE eatin'!  I'm thinkin' 'bout takin' the Wife to go catch some Gar this weekend, if the other fishin' allows it.

PJM, "we" call Bowfin, "Choupic" or "Choupique"...(shoo-pick).  They're definitely fun to catch, but I was raised "on the notion of"...the more You chew it, the bigger it gets...so I've never eaten one.  And talk about tear up a lure!
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #13 on: 01/22/12 22:15 UTC »
And MAN...a Choupique nosing-up out of a hole in the ice!!!  :o  After a few times, I'd have somethin' for 'em.  Stick that head out!  Grab 'em!  Ya got gloves on, right?  Ever seen the "Turtle Man"?  :D
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Re: We tried to catch some White Bass
« Reply #14 on: 01/23/12 04:38 UTC »