Author Topic: Recommended rigging for this new jig for single hook lakes?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
So I got this new mold in that I've been playing with and I want to be able to use these jigs at the lake where my dad's cabin is.
The lake is full of big lake trout and burbot.
The problem is this lake only allows a single hook with only one point.
No treble hooks.
But this jig which is similar to a jigging Rapala or shiver minnow has a rear hook and typically has a center treble hook.
So I'm wondering do I omit the treble hook and just fish the rear hook or do I snip off the rear hook and put a single hook on The wire form when I cast this jig?
Which way do you think it will fish better?
Also which one would likely have the best hookup ratio?
Cast in lead these jigs came out at 1.1 oz and cast in tin they came out at .8 oz. That is without paint, foil and clearcoat.
Btw I used some new holographic foil on these I got from China and I'm not very impressed with it.
I find I have to add a layer of american-made foil underneath to get them to shine and shimmer the way they should as the Chinese foil is too thin and does not have a good enough backer color on it.
But the patterns of the foil I got from China look great.
I guess you get what you pay for as the foil from China was dirt cheap.
Figured out some new ways of applying the foil that is working well though.
Also you'll have to pardon my poor airbrush skills.
Hopefully I will get the hang of airbrushing sometime soon.
Anyway any advice on rigging these with a single hook would be much appreciated!

Online ctom

• Lunker
If it were me I'd snip the tail hook and hang a siwash in the middle. Laker trout, especially large ones will play all kinds of heck on the line and you'll want a substantial hook to keep them on the hook.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
That's easy enough to do Tom.
That's kind of the way I was leaning anyway.
Since the rear hook helps hold up the tail I'll probably just snip it off.
You think a siwash is the way to go or should I cast a hook on to the wire form?
The mold was made to accommodate a treble hook mounted on the wire form before the lead is cast so I could easily add a single hook there.
Just thinking it might be a little stronger than a siwash hook?

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Online ctom

• Lunker
Either way I suppose but my comments on the single hook comes from the fact that lakers are incredibly strong fish and will twist and turn all the way to the top. Siwash hooks are very deep and will not get tossed very easy during all of that twisting. I'm sure there are stronger hooks that you know of so you're the better judge on what to cast in there. On Lake Superior where I am not able to cast a treble I use Siwash 2/0's almost exclusively and cannot say I have lost a Laker yet except for break-offs.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline MT204

• Kicker
Or as my son and I call it "the death roll".