Author Topic: Lakers  (Read 1373 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Lakers
« on: 07/13/20 14:05 UTC »
Ma and I finally got fed up with the heat and humidity so we hooked the trailer and tractor to the van and went north so I could mow the cabin property. Smart move on a couple accounts.

First, we drove smack into daytime temps in the upper 70's to very low 80's with little humidity and  a constant breeze.

Second, its been dry up there so the grass , while needing a trim, wasn't a foot high. It cut easy and it took only 3 1/2 hours to get the mowing task taken care of the day we arrived and that left me with three days of water time.

Finally, the lakers were in the area as well as herring. Both are a hoot to catch and eat and in my three days of fishing I managed to put one of each on the fillet table. The Herring was a nice eater at about 17 1/2". Battered and deep fried its a delicacy and it came home frozen for proper fixing. The Laker taped at 27 1/2". I cut each fillet in half and froze one side and we gnawed on the other half the night it was caught.

A light spinner with a #3 French blade and a #6 Gammi treble did the herring in. The 3/16ounce brass body had an orange dip.

The trout fell to a 4" G Tube hung on one of my special tube rigs. This trout hit a white/chartreuse tentacles, but white with fluor orange tentacles can be killer too. Solid white or pearl white is a real solid trout color.

Here's the rig I make using 1/2 ounce brass spinner bodies, a spinner wire form and #1 Gammi trebles. Slip this in the tube and it casts a mile. Let it sink to the bottom and retrieve using short jigs retrieving the slack after each pull. Trout hammer this set-up on the fall and can really wake a guy up.

Here's the rig.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Lakers
« Reply #1 on: 07/13/20 20:22 UTC »
Great job and bait’s there Tom  8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/13/20 21:12 UTC »
Way to go ctom. Sounds like a great break.

Offline Rex

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/14/20 19:56 UTC »
Better than I have done! I hit the break wall Sunday pm and Monday am before work. Went and fished an inland lake last night with retired general from up here and a gold medalist. I don’t have a history of feats like they do but I outfished them 3 to 1 so I guess I got that going for me. Staying at the Larsmont and enjoying a local brew and whitefish on the lake with the campfire.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/20 20:14 UTC »
While at the cabin I am on the wall every morning about 5:30 AM for about three and a half hours and again in the afternoon around 1:30 PM until around 4. The only reasons I don't go out are lightning or waves over the wall.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Rex

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/20 21:56 UTC »
While at the cabin I am on the wall every morning about 5:30 AM for about three and a half hours and again in the afternoon around 1:30 PM until around 4. The only reasons I don't go out are lightning or waves over the wall.

Having to be on top of the hill by 7 kind of sucks! I may set my alarm extra early for tomorrow.

I’m just swinging spoons and rippin raps. Packed light this trip!