Author Topic: Question about thermometers  (Read 6142 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Minnow
Question about thermometers
« on: 06/05/20 15:32 UTC »
I've seen some posts (not just here) that people say that they use infrared thermometer, is there a reason why you use infrared over a probe thermometer to determine the temp of your plastic??

Also, doesn't infrared read just the surface temperature? (It may be different with plastisol and read a more internal temp, I don't know, I"m just starting out, currently in the process of buying stuff), but wouldn't you want the internal temp to be 350?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Question about thermometers
« Reply #1 on: 06/05/20 15:44 UTC »
Infra Red will read the surface temperature (usually a solid)

A digital probe thermometer will read the temperature of a liquid. Especially effective if you use it to stir the plastic.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 06/05/20 19:21 UTC »
https://www.restaurantsupply.com/media/catalog/product/cache/47f90410e89ec696b19c8b5e4c63b554/3/5/3516_taylor-1.jpg

Most grocery store have something like this. Don’t touch the Pyrex with the probe or it will give a false reading. I move mine around after stiring.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/20 19:56 UTC »
A digital probe thermometer will read the temperature of a liquid. Especially effective if you use it to stir the plastic.

This is my practice exactly... it gets pretty important when shooting cores a bit hotter while avoiding the potential of scorching the plastic.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/08/20 20:24 UTC »

I have been using the Char-Broil instant-read digital thermometer for years. As mentioned, it also makes a great stir rod!
This Instant Read Digital Thermometer will read temperatures from 32°F (0°C) to 392°F (200°C).

Make sure you get this model because it reads to 392F ! (Double check on the package and make sure this is still true. I've had mine for many years). The Char-Broil website still states that it reads to 392F.

INSTANT READ DIGITAL THERMOMETER
MODEL #4867720

https://www.charbroil.com/instant-read-digital-temp-gauge#questions[

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/char-broil-instant-read-digital-thermometer/0000000257262?bc=

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-Digital-Probe-Meat-Thermometer/1000105743

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/08/20 20:39 UTC »
Just curious Andy....why is the one from Lowes listed at $5.99 and the other two at $19.99? Are you certain the one at Lowes is the one you're referring to? seems odd to see such a disparity in pricing.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 06/08/20 21:25 UTC »
One thing that I found, by accident in my early days with plastic is the it usually burns from the inside out.
This for sure means it's way hotter on the inside/core.
A thermal thermometer reads the surface temperature and that can be different depending on the color and even if it is glossy or dull.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/08/20 22:41 UTC »
I don't know why there is a difference in price.  i wonder if the Lowes price is an error.

I bought mine at Fleet Farm.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/08/20 22:46 UTC »
One thing that I found, by accident in my early days with plastic is the it usually burns from the inside out.
This for sure means it's way hotter on the inside/core.
A thermal thermometer reads the surface temperature and that can be different depending on the color and even if it is glossy or dull.

I believe you meant to say that an Infra-Red thermometer measures the surface temperature. Which as you mention is a bit of a problem if the center is a lot hotter!

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 06/09/20 10:33 UTC »
I believe you meant to say that an Infra-Red thermometer measures the surface temperature. Which as you mention is a bit of a problem if the center is a lot hotter!
Yep that's what my brain was thinking, fingers were not.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/09/20 13:12 UTC »
The ball of heat center mass in the plastic is why a vigorous stirring is needed between shots of heat
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast