Author Topic: Look Familiar?  (Read 1533 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Look Familiar?
« on: 02/13/19 14:09 UTC »

I injected these baits using the SBL-3-MB lead mold. These came from the center or 1 ounce cavity. I did some Dremel work on the very end of the body to fit the tail in place. The Dremel took all of a minute. The tails were taken from the Go-Go Grub bait and its works like a charm. Actually the tails will fit all three of the lead mold's cavities very nicely. The lead mold is vented very well and the baits fill great. The top of the mold has the vents for the wires that would normally be used and when injecting one has to take note no be aware that plastic might shoot up out of the vent for the cavity he's filling. I found the injection process very smooth with no alteration to the needed at the gate using the Jacobs injector having the tapered cone nozzle. It wouldn't be much of a job to clamp the mold closed and run a 5/8" bit in about 3/8" so Do-It and other 5/8" nozzles can work.

This mold makes a super nice walleye sized bait and I'm sure bass would come play with it too. The 3/4 ounce cavity would make a sweet crappie sized bait. Tails can come off from a lot of different baits in the Do-It line-up. I had a bag of the Go-Go Grub tail sections on the work bench when this idea hit me so they got used.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline DF

• Lunker
Re: Look Familiar?
« Reply #1 on: 02/13/19 15:45 UTC »
Awesome idea ctom, those look great.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/13/19 15:58 UTC »
 ;)

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
Look Familiar?
« Reply #3 on: 02/13/19 16:13 UTC »
That is absolutely the best!  Well played. I wonder if using the hot knife method one could weld a tail on w/o modifications to the mold?
« Last Edit: 02/13/19 16:15 UTC by Fishermanbt »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/13/19 16:19 UTC »
I wonder if using the hot knife method one could weld a tail on w/o modifications to the mold?

I thought of that before I had the mold in my mitts. Once I saw it and laid a tail in there I just did the knick with the Dremel. The welds are all solid and not much chance of being weak as can be found in the other forms of adding a tail. And the transition is super smooth...like the mold was designed to accept the tails. People can certainly opt for the hand welded tails though.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 02/13/19 18:52 UTC »
Neat idea there Tom I really like the pearl one.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/13/19 19:19 UTC »
That with a forked tail would make an awesome twitch bait and great for bed fishing on a Neko rig.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/13/19 20:01 UTC »
WHAT ARE YOU DOING????... That mold says to use soft lead only!

Offline billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 02/13/19 20:55 UTC »
ctom

You never cease to amaze us and come up with some outstanding finds
"Great Job"

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/13/19 22:36 UTC »
Thanks guys.

Honestly I think that the molds, the plastics, the lead that we work with is simply a beginning....there's always a way to make these things better and often times the "better" lies well beyond the original intent of the product.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/14/19 07:49 UTC »
 ;) Thats proving a mold is just a starting point only limited by your imagination.

Offline Dave

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/07/19 15:29 UTC »
I’ve seen some things now, but Tom that is awesome!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/07/19 16:34 UTC »
I really like this bait using the fringe tail. The fork tail isn't bad either but the fringe tail makes it appear balanced nice. Plus the tail is nothing but movement with little if any help from the angler. Its a thinner bait than one thinks and should be a super current cutting goodie to fish walleyes.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they