Author Topic: Pictures  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Arkansasbowhunter

• Kicker
Pictures
« on: 12/28/15 09:02 UTC »
Do you guys have problems capturing the true image of what you make.  I mean the pictures come out dark or don't show the highlights.  Very frustrating trying to capture your creation to share with you guys.

Any suggestions

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
Re: Pictures
« Reply #1 on: 12/28/15 09:35 UTC »
I too, suffer this Affliction.

Ghostbaits always posted Killer Pics...I think he used a Light Box...
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/28/15 09:42 UTC »
The only real way to get a true representation of the bait's colors and hi lite effects is to use a good light box with the camera tripod mounted. I don't have the room to bother building one just for a couple pictures once in a while. Optimally one could have a stationary camera at the light box so settings could remain based on the light conditions, which of course would be static.

Most cameras today have auto focus that can really mess with what you want shown. You'd have to set the camera to a manual mode and work the f-stop/shutter speed/set distance to get better renditions of the bait. My Canon program has an editing section where sharpness and contrast can be manipulated to some degree. The contrast is where I can dig up more of the hi lite effects in one color but I may or may not lose some color in any of the other colors.

Something else to consider is that most bait photos are taken with the bait laying on a surface. Just doing this stops a great deal of the light needed to show the hi lites. Try rigging the bait and getting your picture of it suspended in open air with a light background color, maybe hang a 2X3 foot piece of white cardboard on a door and offer light from both sides, top and bottom so shadows are eliminated. The backlighting and perimeter lighting a light box offers is absolutely the best but the white cardboard would be a somewhat-close second. To get the most out of a picture, light has to go thru the bait to get hi lite or pearl to really fire.

Background color will mess with what you want to show too with many colors. To get the best results for you, take several shots using different backgrounds colors. The denser the bait's color, the more agreeable the color will be to sitting on a contrast color of background. The more transparent a color is and the more hi lite effect you want to show, you'll want a back ground color that is similar to the bait's hi lite color with white being the best. In a lot of my pictures of blue or purple baits having hi lites of those colors I use a soft blue paper shop towel as the background to help kick start the hi lite with some positive contrast. White though is a solid background. A very light gray would work good too.

If you are using uv enhancer in your colors, expect some interference from it in your pictures. The enhancer is doing its job but it also confuses the camera if pictures are taken in shaded sunlight or on a cloudy day. I suggest making your picture bait, then adding the enhancer to the plastic and make your working baits.

Understand that indoor lighting and natural light are two entirely different worlds and pictures taken inside with artificial light will look substantially different in a picture taken in the sun or even shaded sunlight. A light box will get you your most consistent pictures. 
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 12/29/15 07:09 UTC »
Holy cow ctom thanks.  Gonn try some of the suggestions.  I too don't want to invest in all that expensive stuff for a few pics.  Rather buy more rod and reels lol. 

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 12/30/15 22:11 UTC »
There was a quick set up light box on kickstarter not too long ago, you may try looking into that if you're interested.  Wasn't too expensive if I recall correctly and enabled you to use your cell phone if that's all you have.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/31/15 06:06 UTC »
  I put my lures on a white piece of printer paper on top of the washer and take a picture with my iPhone. Nobody has complained yet.

^^^ And it only took one line to tell you how to do it.  ;D

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 12/31/15 07:23 UTC »
Lol, well my digital camera bit the dust and having to send back to cannon.  Not sure I want to see the repair bill.  One of the little prong that goes into the card broke off .