Author Topic: Powder painting pony head jigs  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
Powder painting pony head jigs
« on: 04/10/17 17:09 UTC »
New to the art and to the forum. I just poured some pony head jigs wondering how to approach powder coating without coating the swivel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Powder painting pony head jigs
« Reply #1 on: 04/10/17 17:53 UTC »
Have to wrap each swivel in alumiun foil. At least that's how I do it.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/17 18:16 UTC »
Same as Muskygary.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
« Reply #3 on: 04/10/17 19:24 UTC »
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/10/17 19:44 UTC »
Hello Isobnad, welcome to custombaits.com. I too will be new to powder coating. I am awaiting shipment on a fluid bed and some powder paints. Looks like fun.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/17 20:47 UTC »
Isobnad, welcome to the Do-It forums!

If you are going to paint right from the jar be sure to stir the powder until its real loose and free in the container. When you dip the heated head make sure you sort of swirl it thru the powder fairly fast. There's a learning curve but you'll get it.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/10/17 23:08 UTC »
Welcome!

You can also get yourself some heat shrink tubing.  If you have a heat gun you can get a good system down.  Cut off about 1/4" or so more then you need.  Cut a bunch of these if doing a run.  (it shrinks, and you need an "end" to grab with your pliers). 

Heat shrink tubing will shrink to half its size when heat is applied.  Buy a size that is slightly larger (inside diameter) than you need.  1/8inch works for my applications. 

...put your piece of tubing on your swivel and heat.  It only takes a second to shrink.  Then powder paint.  As soon as you take it out of the powder paint, grab that tag end of the tubing with a pliers and pull it off.  Presto.

It seems like a chore when reading, but you can get a good, and fast system down quick.  ....this is how I do with anything I do not want powder painted. (swivel, hook eye, etc)    ..works for me for production.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #7 on: 04/11/17 04:46 UTC »
Great idea, Shawn.  I'm going to try it.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Isobnad

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 04/11/17 07:35 UTC »
Sounds like I have a couple options to try. Thanks ctom I am using a a fluid bath. I tell you this is shaping up to be a healthy and expensive addiction. With all the rain it is the next best thing to fishing.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/11/17 07:47 UTC »
Something I've been thinking about....The herring head underspin has a wire form to hold the swivel. I'm wondering if that wire form would fit in the Pony head? If so you could use a smaller swivel (so the blade didn't extend back to far) and you wouldn't have to worry about paint in the swivel!

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 04/11/17 11:57 UTC »
Something I've been thinking about....The herring head underspin has a wire form to hold the swivel. I'm wondering if that wire form would fit in the Pony head? If so you could use a smaller swivel (so the blade didn't extend back to far) and you wouldn't have to worry about paint in the swivel!
Maybe so with the slightest modification.

JW taught me this trick.  Takes a little while to get use to but once you get it down you can paint some swivel heads quickly.  I barely dip the bottom of the swivel into bowl of water just enough to hear a sizzle.  Talking like a mili-second. It cools swivel enough for paint not to adhere to it.

« Last Edit: 04/11/17 12:01 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 04/11/17 12:04 UTC »
Good idea! I like those eyes!!!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 04/11/17 12:07 UTC »
Now dip it too long or swivel too far into water and paint won't adhere to head around the swivel.  Like I sad takes some practice.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/11/17 12:57 UTC »
Thanks for the info Thump. Going to try that!

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 04/11/17 13:25 UTC »
Previous photo made me go down memory lane in my photos.   Below pics were the water method.  Man wish I had this mold back in 1/8 oz as well as wish he made it in a 1/4oz.