Author Topic: Epic day with the swing jig and baby berry  (Read 4307 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Epic day with the swing jig and baby berry
« on: 11/10/13 16:17 UTC »
I had one of those rare..."epic days" using the new swing jig and a baby berry on the backwaters of the Mississippi River today. It was a balmy 46 degrees...and not windy for a change. I headed over to a couple deep (14 - 20 ft) basins that hold a lot of bluegills and crappies during the winter. I've done well in these spots a few times in late fall and I was pretty confident that the swing jig and baby berry combo would produce and it sure did!  22 largemouth in 3 hours... 3 measured at 5 to 5.25 lbs which are big bass for up here. Probably got 10 over 4lbs and the rest where all over 14". I was retrieving the bait at a constant slow crawl and did best if I set the hook immediately after the hit. A couple times I didn't feel any bite..I just notice the line swimming off to the side.

I wasn't all that pleased with the suggested hooks for this rig because they weren't holding the nose of the bait very well after a fish or two so I tried some Mustad Grip-Pin KVD soft plastics hooks and they really worked we'll. Highly recommended. I was using the 3/0 for the Baby Berry's. The hooks have a nice big eye which I like (more swing?)

This might cause some gnashing of teeth...but I cast and powder paint the Swing jigs by themselves and after curing I add the hooks by opening up the eye of the hook using my split ring pliers, adding the hook to the wire and then closing the eye using my leader crimping pliers. I'm not too worried about the eye opening again because the force of the wire on the jig is on the front of the hook...not the side that I bent open.

This slow, bottom bouncing crank bait method (as Biffle describes it) has been super effective for me so far.
« Last Edit: 11/10/13 16:20 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Epic day with the swing jig and baby berry
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/13 16:36 UTC »
   You now have my attention on this jig. I may be looking into this mold soon. I already have my eye on the berry mold but the bigger one and not the baby. But now you got me thinking about that too. Thanks Andrew, Thanks a lot.
   But all kindling aside. It's nice to have those magical days that keep us all fishing in hopes for another.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #2 on: 11/10/13 16:47 UTC »
Very cool Andrew, I'm glad to hear someone is knocking the snot out of them.  It's always a good feeling to have those days.  It will keep you coming back for many more days to come.  Just hearing of it makes me want to hit the water.

I think it's kinda interesting that we're talking about the rig that is this years catalog cover.  As I recall that is the Berry Bug and not the Baby Berry, but none the less the Berry family.  I haven't actually fished that combo yet but you can be sure that I will.  I've a feeling it's an effective presentation as you've so shown, nice work Mr. Lamberson, nice work.  ;)
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/10/13 17:09 UTC »
I only used the Baby Berry because that's what I have. I would think a regular Berry Bug would rig out better. The hook is to the very back of the Baby Berry. I think a regular Berry Bug mold will be on my Christmas list.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/10/13 17:11 UTC »
Andrew, Just wondering if you have caught any walleye or smallmouth on this rig yet.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/10/13 17:16 UTC »
Not yet...but I haven't fished the right spots yet. I'm confident it would be awesome for both species.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/10/13 20:01 UTC »
I had just added the berry bug to x mas list for this exact purpose.  Thanks Andy

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/10/13 20:43 UTC »
Wow what a trip! I couldn't imagine that many hogs in one spot! Not to many people have caught a 5 fish 20-25 pound string atta  boy

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/10/13 22:41 UTC »
More than any place I've fished, bass in the Mississippi River winter over in these deep basins. If you can find the right ones the fishing in late fall can be spectacular. I found one of these spots two winters ago while ice fishing. I was using my Marcom camera for panfish and the area was thick with largemouth ...some real dandies too! I just didn't have the right bait or timing until this year. My standard was a black jig with a pork trailer which caught bass but you can't cover enough bottom with it the way I normally fish it. When I read about the swim jig and how Biffle fishes it the lightbulb really lit up!

What I really want to find is one of these spots full of smallmouth. Stories have it you can have 50+ fish days in one of these spots...if you can take the cold weather!

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/11/13 14:42 UTC »
I wonder - Andrew - if there is a spring there.  Around here if you can find an underwater spring; in the dead of winter and summer these places are very good. ( If not too many people know about them ).