Author Topic: Nail Art Powder  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
Nail Art Powder
« on: 11/03/18 12:21 UTC »

I am usually interested to topics related to soft plastic baits and in this Forum I found really good informations.
So, to repay your good suggestions, I would like to share with you a really simple technique about painting hard baits with Nail Art Powder. Perhaps some of you already know such technique, then it could be intersting to compare our experiences.
Years ago I stopped to pour my cranks in epoxy resin ... the cheap chinese blank are really more convenient.
In Nail Art Powders you can find all sorts of pigments: pearls as the marble mica, metallic as silver and gold, iridescent colors as the showed green/violet.
The technique to apply the fantastic nail art powder to our blanks, is exacly carry out from same Nail Art application: we need a dark background, as a sprayed black (by a can for instance); a gloss substrate, as the sprayed Plastidip in our case, and after 5 minutes, when the sprayed plastic is not more tacky, you can apply the powder that you prefer with a brush or the Nail Art spongy tool.
Talking about the back or belly colors, you can surely use another kind of powder, but I found that powdered surface is a good base to spray other kind of colors. Even if I sometimes use the airbrushing pen, in this case is really easyier to brush a little bit of color from a Copic marker with the Spritzer pump (ndr Spritzer is a handy pump where you attach the marker pen, obtaining a sort of airbrushing effect, let try to search it on the net).
Last step is simply to seal off all, glued eyes included, with another Plastidip spraying.
That's all.
Bye.

Cami

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Nail Art Powder
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/18 13:34 UTC »
Sweet bait’s
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 11/04/18 07:02 UTC »
Very nice, thank you for sharing.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/04/18 07:10 UTC »
Good stuff Cami. I too play heavily with products from the nail-care and automotive custom paints industries and find some amazing color creations.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
« Reply #4 on: 11/04/18 11:51 UTC »
Thank you All for your kind words.

Hi Tom, I saw your great paintings and read your intersting threads. Just curious to know if you brush pigments directly to black dried paint, or do you use, as me, a sort of base to fix them to the bait's body?
My picture is really awful, but with airbrushed alchol based markers it is possible to create great effects over the pigments as base surface.
Next time I will try to show some painting poor tricks using pigments over and inside plastisol.
Bye.

Cami

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/04/18 14:02 UTC »
I shoot the hard baits with black airbrush paint and allow it to dry then dry brush the pigments over it. You can mix the pigments with clear top coat and air brush them over the black too but the dry brushing will give you way more intense color. I seal coat everything once the eyes are in place.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast