Author Topic: Spawning Crappie  (Read 1247 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Spawning Crappie
« on: 06/07/18 15:39 UTC »
Here are a pair of 2 1/2" cranks, one with a short square bill the other with a diving bill.

Bit of a process to get things to come around but once its figured out its not that bad. In lieu of any template I used preserved moss as a pattern to break up the transparent black on the sides and across the top back. As a finish color I used a clear gloss thinned down pretty good and some blue/purple color shifting pigment and just did an interference coat across the back and upper sides. If one looks carefully you can see the blue coming out as a hi light, very similar to what spawning male crappies exhibit and just like male crappies in full spawning color this top coat shifts to a purple hue with a shift in angle to light.

Getting the moss thing dialed in was a trick. I finally cut some of the balls of moss in half and gave each side of each piece a shot of silver spray paint [it was what was handy] and then pressed the painted pieces between plastic sheet, top and bottom. I used a couple notebooks to weigh the top plastic down and when they paint was dry enough to handle the moss was moved and re-pressed on a clean area of the plastic. To use it I held the moss up tight to the sides of the baits and shot the transparent black right thru the moss and lifted the moss straight up and off. This gives an absolute random pattern. I got the moss at a JoAnn's Fabrics in the craft area and for $4.00 there's enough in there to out last me.

The bills are still taped in the picture. I brought them in for a second dunk of CS Seal Kote and had sun so I grabbed the picture while I had good light.

« Last Edit: 06/08/18 18:36 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Spawning Crappie
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/18 18:04 UTC »
Great paint Tom they will reallly catch the fish’s attention. I picked up some CS in UV and regular to coat my bait’s.
« Last Edit: 06/07/18 18:13 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/07/18 18:14 UTC »
I should add, the color shift pigments are from www.Didspade.com and are fine particle, the name is Delta. Potent stuff. I used a very small ball of it, maybe 1/2 the size of a b-b in a sprayer cup of clear. I know someone else who likes this pigment maybe even better than I do. lol

Thanks Mike. I'm hoping to get down to the big river and chuck these recent baits around in some backwaters soon.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/08/18 19:21 UTC »
Those look great
Instagram: paneltrucklures