Author Topic: Carrot Stick Laminates  (Read 13977 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
Carrot Stick Laminates
« on: 12/21/11 12:00 UTC »
CCM JR is on Christmas break from school and is hooking me up with some killer baits.  Here are a couple pics of some Carrots he made for me:

4", 5" and 6" Skinny Carrots

5" and 6" Regular Carrots

Thanks JR!

Offline knifemaker3

• Kicker
Re: Carrot Stick Laminates
« Reply #1 on: 12/21/11 12:06 UTC »
Jason, I need to borrow your son over the holiday to pour me some killer baits like that!!!!!!  ;D

Outstanding job!
God Bless!

Craig Blankenship
Craig's Outdoor Sports
www.craigsoutdoorsports. com

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: 12/21/11 12:10 UTC »
He is such a blessing.  The baits are nothing compared to how I feel seeing him mature into such a fine young man.

Jason
aka. Proud Dad

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #3 on: 12/21/11 12:28 UTC »
Is that a 4" Regular, or did Yawl come out with a 4" Skinny?  Because a 4" Skinny, in the form of an "extended" 3" Skinny would be in my box of molds!!!
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #4 on: 12/21/11 12:29 UTC »
Those are some FINE Carrots, JR.  You've got me eye-ballin' the 4" mold...
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 12/21/11 14:50 UTC »
Those are super! They need to go in the cook book. :-*

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: 12/21/11 15:38 UTC »
Is that a 4" Regular, or did Yawl come out with a 4" Skinny?  Because a 4" Skinny, in the form of an "extended" 3" Skinny would be in my box of molds!!!

The regular 4".  I can make a 3.5" or 4" skinny one - like the 3" Skinny if you want it.  We would just need to nail down the specs a little.  Maybe Paul could add his .02 on this also as he has done a lot of analysis on tapers and such.

Jason

Offline CCM_JR

• Keeper
« Reply #7 on: 12/21/11 16:25 UTC »
Those are super! They need to go in the cook book. :-*

Thanks guys, I added it to the cook book.

~Jr~

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
    • Home of Ghost Baits: Hand poured and Hand injected soft plastics
« Reply #8 on: 12/21/11 17:25 UTC »
I bought what I thought was a 4" skinny???!!!! I bought it from a member here and it was advertised as skinny 4". Since I don't have a regular 4" to compare to, I could be either.

Baits are top notch Jr!!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 12/21/11 21:43 UTC »
A four inch skinny would be an interesting bait. The standard four inch is a 0.375 bait.  Same diameter as the 3.0 inch regular and 3.5 inch.  The 3 inch skinny ( and 2.5 inch ) have a diameter of 0.3125.  Unless Jason slid one by me; there is only one diameter of 4" Carrot.  Most of the CCM Carrots have a 70% to 75% tapered tail and 25% to 30% body. ( The exception is the "standard" 3" skinny; it has a 1.25" body and 1.75" tapered tail ).   The four inch has a 1" body and a 3" tail.  I have not "studied" the 5" and up carrots.  These proportions create a very "lifelike" bait profile to me.  The longer the tail vs body , the more "wiggle" in the bait ( all else being equal ). The smaller the diameter ( given the same body vs tail lengths ) yields the same results.
Jason was good enough to craft me a 3" skinny carrot with a 0.75" body and a 2.25" tapered tail a while ago.  This carrot has the same relative body percent set up as the 3 inch regular carrot.  Shot from the same plastic, the skinny has a good bit more "action" than the regular.   The picture I posted of the box  of 3" Skinnys shows this mold set up.  The baits are very minnow like to me.  
Now, with a 4 inch, I would be very tempted to just  go to a 0.3125 diameter and leave it 1.00" body and 3.00" tail.  More action would be a 0.75" Body and 3.25" Tail.  Any shorter body than 0.75" I would be afraid of where the hook would exit the bait.  Now if you were planning on just nose hooking the bait and really getting funky, a 0.3" head and 3.6" tail.  Shot in soft this would be a real wiggler.   I would shoot the  bait in soft, cut it off at 3.65", then re-shoot the head in medium or medium hard of a different color.  ( not that I have thought about this at all )  :).
« Last Edit: 12/21/11 21:52 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/21/11 21:47 UTC »
Picture with 3 baits is labeled as 4", 5" and 6" skinny carrots???

Jim

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 12/21/11 21:55 UTC »
My bad, CCm Jr. -- Those are really well executed, very lifelike baits. 

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 12/21/11 22:01 UTC »
Paul, not saying those really are skinny ones as they might be mislabeled. I thought mine might be skinny based on that picture but bet there isn't a skinny yet.

Jim

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: 12/22/11 08:27 UTC »
I apologize for the confusion around the 4" Carrot.  There is only 1 diameter out right now and it is the .375 (same as the larger - 5",6",7" - "Skinny" Carrots). 

There is however 2 versions, but the only difference is the tail.  The one on the site tapers to nothing.  The other one I've made tapers to a slight round end.  One needs to become the "standard" and the other moved into the Special Order section.

With that said, we can make a true 4" Skinny (.3125).  I liked Paul's suggestion of a .75" - 1" body, taper to a slight wound end like the others.

Thoughts???

Thanks,

Jason

Offline ghostbaits

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 12/22/11 10:05 UTC »
Guess I have the different version then... All good, just need to be sure I pay attention for when I add another one on!!!!!  ;D

Paul sure knows how the skinny should be, I'd go with his suggestion and your size Jason if I have a vote.

Jim