Author Topic: New year, new contraptions  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: New year, new contraptions
« Reply #15 on: 01/13/20 21:01 UTC »
Wow, if that's with an elcheapo brush I can't wait to see your professional work. Outstanding!

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 01/14/20 03:58 UTC »
Can you share a link to obtain the uv resin?
I ordered mine on eBay. You just have to dig around for the cheapest price.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273456788436
Amazon carries it as well
Epoxy UV Resin Clear Hard,ONGHSD UV Jewelry Resin Glue Sunlight Ultraviolet Curing Resin Crystal Liquid for DIY/Kids Craft Jewelry Making Supplies Mold Not Included (100g/3.53oz) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJ9SSSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EbzhEbQMRVH8M

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 01/14/20 04:27 UTC »
So what sets the resin? Special light or just need strong sunlight? Are you dipping or brushing?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 01/14/20 05:45 UTC »
UV light sets it. I’m using UV lights from a fingernail curing lamp in my rotisserie. Takes about 15 minutes and the bait is tack free but I have been going for about an hour. Im going to test out cure times for durability.
It has the consistency of syrup at room temperature or a bit thicker than CS. I’ve read that it’s possible to make it thinner by placing the bottle in a container of warm water thus warming the resin. As far as applications go I have been brushing it on but one could dip/drip I suppose. As long as there is no direct sunlight you have infinite work time.
I haven’t had enough hands on to see how it’s going to hold up or if it yellows over time. For now though it is crystal clear.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 01/14/20 06:06 UTC »
If you dip that stuff on do you dip the lip as well or do you tape the lip off? I know some people that use KBS and dip the entire bait including the lip but I've never dipped a crank. I have only finished cranks with Devcon 2 Ton as it is really strong and it covers well with 1 coat.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 01/14/20 09:14 UTC »
I did not dip the entire bait. Just covered from tail to nose dipping it in CS. I would think covering the lip might throw the balance off.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 01/14/20 13:09 UTC »
I did not dip the entire bait. Just covered from tail to nose dipping it in CS. I would think covering the lip might throw the balance off.

So what do you do, tape the lip off? And if you tape the lip off, how hard is it to remove after the clear coat is cured? Forgive me for the basic questions, I thought about getting back into airbrushing cranks but I'd like to find a better way of clear coating.  BTW, the light box and vacuum former are awesome, I which I had enough skill to build something like that!!
« Last Edit: 01/14/20 13:11 UTC by smalljaw »

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 01/14/20 15:15 UTC »
So what do you do, tape the lip off? And if you tape the lip off, how hard is it to remove after the clear coat is cured? Forgive me for the basic questions, I thought about getting back into airbrushing cranks but I'd like to find a better way of clear coating.  BTW, the light box and vacuum former are awesome, I which I had enough skill to build something like that!!
I just held the bait by the lip with tape removed and dipped into the jar just above the nose, slowly removing it and allowing to dry. Could have painted it on but chose to dip it this time

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #23 on: 01/15/20 06:43 UTC »
I just held the bait by the lip with tape removed and dipped into the jar just above the nose, slowly removing it and allowing to dry. Could have painted it on but chose to dip it this time

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but if you do that, isn't part of the lip getting clear coated? If not then the nose of the bait isn't getting clear coated? That is where I'm having trouble, it seems you either dip the entire bait with the lip included or dip the bait and clear coat at least part of the lip. Perhaps I should just stick with the brush on deal and not worry about dipping.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 01/15/20 07:35 UTC »
"Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but if you do that, isn't part of the lip getting clear coated? If not then the nose of the bait isn't getting clear coated?" smalljaw

I tape the  blades on all of my crank bait blanks as soon as I get them. when I dip, I dip far enough to cover the entire painted portion of each bait. then hang to drip by the lie tie eye. The tape peels right off when dry without harming the top coat.

I tried brushing but found when using too stiff of a brush that I could actually scratch the paint even after it had been heat set. I went to a super soft brush and that cured that but I have since found that dip and drip works well for me. IF I were using the Diamond coat or an epoxy and probably that uv too, I'd need a turner. I double coat all of my cranks in the CS product and find that the finish is super tough and eliminates the need for a turner.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 01/15/20 16:08 UTC »
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong but if you do that, isn't part of the lip getting clear coated? If not then the nose of the bait isn't getting clear coated? That is where I'm having trouble, it seems you either dip the entire bait with the lip included or dip the bait and clear coat at least part of the lip. Perhaps I should just stick with the brush on deal and not worry about dipping.
No, the CS top coat did not cover the entire lip just a small portion of it above the nose if dipped in the orientation shown in the attached picture which shouldn’t be enough to effect the action. I am not the best at explaining things. I tried to get a picture of the coating on the lip for reference.
Ctom is right though. If you’re dipping then you do not need to mess with a turner.