Author Topic: ES frog was doing well today.  (Read 610 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
ES frog was doing well today.
« on: 06/26/22 17:32 UTC »
I made up some ES frogs, did a yellow belly, green with copper flakes. Didn’t get any big girls today, but the small bass wouldn’t leave them alone.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Re: ES frog was doing well today.
« Reply #1 on: 06/26/22 17:39 UTC »
I made up 4 or 5 frogs, and they worked well, checked them in the sink they floated perfect. However I was using some MF Super Soft plastisol when I made them, thinking the foot action would be better. Well the smaller bass we’re ripping the feet off after a few strikes.

Does anyone have some tips on making frogs? Which plastisol works the best? I’m thinking MF super soft is to soft for frogs and it rips to easy. So, I want to go a bit stiffer….just not so stiff that I lose action on the frog feet.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/26/22 18:25 UTC »
The only plastic I use is the Do-It Essential because of its elastic tendency. I used Do-It's regular soft plastic for quite a while but had bite-offs like to are showing so I switched to the regular and still saw bite-offs. Not an issue with the Essential.

Also, I fish the Caney Creek 4" Croaker and the 4" Big Foot, essentially the same as what you're tossing, with unweighted wide gap hooks and the Bass and Pike love'm. I have some of the 4/0  7320 VMC extended locking bend wide-gaps that I'll be trying tomorrow and will get back with a report on how they work.
« Last Edit: 06/26/22 18:38 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/26/22 19:03 UTC »
There is some brands of floating plastic out there that may work. (I haven't tried them)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 06/27/22 00:34 UTC »
The only plastic I use is the Do-It Essential because of its elastic tendency. I used Do-It's regular soft plastic for quite a while but had bite-offs like to are showing so I switched to the regular and still saw bite-offs. Not an issue with the Essential.

Also, I fish the Caney Creek 4" Croaker and the 4" Big Foot, essentially the same as what you're tossing, with unweighted wide gap hooks and the Bass and Pike love'm. I have some of the 4/0  7320 VMC extended locking bend wide-gaps that I'll be trying tomorrow and will get back with a report on how they work.

So I assume the essential pastisol is a stiffer mixture......how's the foot action?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/27/22 04:24 UTC »
I use the Essential plastic for everything including all of my panfish baits and I have action in them that's just fine so I don't call the Essential stiffer, just more elastic. The foot action in both of the frogs mentioned is very loose, plenty of action.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast