Author Topic: JSF wire form from Barlow`s tolerances  (Read 569 times)

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
JSF wire form from Barlow`s tolerances
« on: 09/24/22 16:40 UTC »
Hi,

I just started a batch of JSF 3 and 2 Wire forms for the Do-It jigging spoon mold that I ordered last december and found them to differ in size and diameter to such an extend they do not fit the mold. I have no idea where they get them from or if the mold has changed. I just found that out after I ordered a second mold and another batch last week which is on its way to me here in Germany right now.

The width of the form has reduced from 0.24 inch to 0.20 inch. I have to manipulate every single one with a round plier to make them fit, and the result is obvious, looking unprofessional. 

Has there been a change in the mold design which fits the new mold I ordered or is it just poor wire form manufacturing? Has anybody experienced the same? The Jigging spoon is the basis for my most important, cash-cow product right now and I have to manufacture it economically. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: JSF wire form from Barlow`s tolerances
« Reply #1 on: 09/24/22 20:21 UTC »
That's the pits for sure. I suggest sending the Do-It crew an email and explain what you're finding.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
Re: JSF wire form from Barlow`s tolerances
« Reply #2 on: 09/25/22 08:12 UTC »
Bucho, have you considered going direct to bulk wire forms? Mustang Wire Products makes most of the same forms that fit the Do It Molds, except you then have to buy in bulk @ 1000 wires. They'll make custom wires too, but what you're seeing may simply be a difference in who actually manufactures the wires.

I have no idea what the shipping & possible customs duties might cost, but that might be worthwhile for you to look into since you're selling the jigs.

https://www.mustangwireproducts.com/