Author Topic: small jigging spoon blanks  (Read 6060 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
small jigging spoon blanks
« on: 01/06/15 16:12 UTC »
I'd love to see a mold toss one or both of these guys.

The bait at the top is 1/32 ounce and the other is 1/16. Both take a wire insert.

I know the person who spin cast thousands of both of these for the respective companies. In fact he held the trademark on the gold bait's name for years but has let it lapse. I have a bag of blanks of maybe 200 of the top lure, gold plated. I make a few up each year to use in open water. Both are deadly when jigged vertically with a plastic tail.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Bucko

• Kicker
Re: small jigging spoon blanks
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/15 16:16 UTC »
The top one looks very much like a Lindy bait.  I like those for ice fishing crappie and perch.  I would love to see some more "up to date" molds for spoons.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/06/15 17:06 UTC »
I don't think anyone has a mold out there that size, at least I can't find one?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/06/15 17:19 UTC »
I think you are right Bucko. The blanks I have are identical to the jigging demon....slightly different than the one I have up there. The gold one is a go devil.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Bucko

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/06/15 18:30 UTC »
I'm actually surprised there aren't any molds strictly for ice spoons.  With ice fishing gaining popularity maybe one day they'll make em?  They already make some molds for ice plastics, why not ice jigs or ice spoons? 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/06/15 18:42 UTC »
Northland tackle makes a 1/32 UV "Forage Minnow", but they want $3.50 each!! In my book that's a rip off.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/06/15 19:12 UTC »
I'm thinking about making a jigging spoon mold out of Bondo and see how that works. It won't take much to make it. Getting it thin enough (like the one in CTom's picture will be the hard part.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/06/15 19:35 UTC »
I'm thinking about making a jigging spoon mold out of Bondo and see how that works. It won't take much to make it. Getting it thin enough (like the one in CTom's picture will be the hard part.

Hammer the lead (spoon) to make thinner and trim with shears... you can make a very light spoon this way, but having exacting consistency will not be likely.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 01/17/22 11:57 UTC »
Ctom...did you ever find molds for these small spoons?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/17/22 15:08 UTC »
Ctom...did you ever find molds for these small spoons?

Nope.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #10 on: 01/17/22 19:11 UTC »
I have a mold, bought from someone on Ebay, that pours 1/32 & 1/16 oz spoons like that, but have not used it much yet. It came with eyes, that were home made from copper wire and I need to get or make forms for it, as the eyes don't pour very well. Unlike a sinker eye, they don't fit the mold very well, and with the spoon so small, I get poorly formed spoons. No one here ice fishes, we don't get ice, but I would think they could be used for jigging as an alternative to regular Crappie jigs.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 01/17/22 21:22 UTC »
I'd love to see a mold toss one or both of these guys.

The bait at the top is 1/32 ounce and the other is 1/16. Both take a wire insert.

I know the person who spin cast thousands of both of these for the respective companies. In fact he held the trademark on the gold bait's name for years but has let it lapse. I have a bag of blanks of maybe 200 of the top lure, gold plated. I make a few up each year to use in open water. Both are deadly when jigged vertically with a plastic tail.

Send pics/measurements/weights to the Ukrainian and he’ll have it to you in a month or less. Guy blew me away. He is now my go to preferred mold company.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 01/27/22 12:19 UTC »
Ctom bug molds just posted small spoon molds on eBay might be if interest to you.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/30/22 08:36 UTC »
Thanks, but no thanks. I no longer ice fish, but I still have enough jigging spoons to last as long as I am going to be able to fish open water.

One has to wonder what the future of the Ukraine is right now, given the near-war climate there.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 01/30/22 20:21 UTC »
Thanks, but no thanks. I no longer ice fish, but I still have enough jigging spoons to last as long as I am going to be able to fish open water.

One has to wonder what the future of the Ukraine is right now, given the near-war climate there.

Lol....been like that for years.....I've lost $25 in worse ways. A jigging spoon mold with a Cavity to glue a rattle on to make buckshot like spoons would be nice.