Author Topic: Tomy's Bait  (Read 1913 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Tomy's Bait
« Reply #15 on: 05/26/22 20:15 UTC »
I just spent an hour looking thru Tomy"s facebook picture gallery. Unreal stuff. In looking thru the gallery one of my suspicions was confirmed, he's airbrushing a lot of these. The guy is a classic artist that's for certain.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 05/26/22 21:39 UTC »
I dug out the Shad Bait Lure mold from the lead mold collection and used a tail from a 5" Thump-It Grub, then injected the cavity with black plastic. I was going to do clear but really wanted to see what I was covering by brushing the dry mold and black is the best color to determine that.

I started with green hilite powder, all of the hi lites are Do-It stock and brushed the head area and back to about the cast in lateral line. Then I did gold along the line, then the violet. I thought I had regular pearl but surprise and when this stuff hits a surface its not going to change much, so it stayed violet. When I figured I had decent hi lite coverage I used the brush to [hopefully] feather the colors together where they merge and think I half way succeeded. With the tail in place I injected the black plastic. After pulling from the mold I added eyes and did a dip to secure the hi lite and eyes.

I think it turned out not so bad. I'll do another shot tomorrow and use a tail from a 2-1/2" Thump-It and use clear plastic.

I used the lead mold because I wanted a bait with some detail and one formatted to having two sides. The SBL-3-M mold is perfect for this as it allows one to sort of see where the powder has been brushed in and the bait is a dandy walleye bait on a 1/8 head. I just grabbed the tail for a 5" Thump-It to do this tonight but in reality it is too large for the 1 ounce cavity bait. With some stencils this bait would airbrush like a darn when done in either lead or soft plastic. The brushing the pigments in the mold though, I'm just not sold on it yet.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 05/27/22 09:34 UTC »
Ctom, when you brush the pigment and inject, does the powder pigment secure to the bait? Can it be rubbed off?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 05/27/22 10:42 UTC »
On this bait I did see it want to rub off, hence the clear coat. In looking at this guy's facebook pictures they all appear to be very shiny. He has to be clear coating them with something. If I find the time today I'll try a clear plastic doing this technique. For the most part I am not interested in this. In airbrushing I use hi lites and colorshifts in clear to use as an interference color coat and will dry brush both hi lite and colorshift on black or very dark plastic or will add both to the clear plastic cover dip to get a more subdued result.

Brushing yields a very intense result as can be seen on this bait. Its very hard to control the amount of product going into the mold, or on the bait. It can get over-whelming.

BUT....I'm always game to try something different, as in this process. I'm more of a color guy than a realism guy but I do appreciate the talent that it takes to make those baits look absolutely alive. 
« Last Edit: 05/27/22 10:44 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they