Author Topic: ES swim frog……how would you rig it?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
ES swim frog……how would you rig it?
« on: 07/04/21 09:32 UTC »
Just wondering how a guy should rig an ES swim frog. Would a guy use a weighted hook? Texas be rig it?
or just a hook alone?

I’m going to be fishing it in heavy cover….coon tail, Lilly pads. So would like to throw it over, in, and on heavy cover.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: ES swim frog……how would you rig it?
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/21 09:56 UTC »
That's a heavy frog to start with but I'd still go with a weighted hook just to help it maintain the proper disposition in the water. I don't think I'd use much more than a 3/0 hook with it and I'd try to stick just the very tip of the barb in the plastic on the back to help with weeds not getting caught in it. With the heat and high water temps our top-water bite has yielded nothing but swings and misses. All of our fish are coming from at least a foot down or more so if you aren't getting bit with the frog try a swim bait and run it deeper and slower. With a weighted hook your frog should swim just below the surface if you retrieve slow enough so you may do ok. I know here in SE Minnesota the bass are deeper than normal this year....or seem to be to my buddy and I. We've been seeing late July bass antics for the last three weeks here.
« Last Edit: 07/04/21 10:00 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/05/21 09:03 UTC »
A weighted hook for sure when in matted cover so the frog can sink and be in front of the fish (after it blows a hole in the weeds).

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/05/21 15:55 UTC »
That's a heavy frog to start with but I'd still go with a weighted hook just to help it maintain the proper disposition in the water. I don't think I'd use much more than a 3/0 hook with it and I'd try to stick just the very tip of the barb in the plastic on the back to help with weeds not getting caught in it. With the heat and high water temps our top-water bite has yielded nothing but swings and misses. All of our fish are coming from at least a foot down or more so if you aren't getting bit with the frog try a swim bait and run it deeper and slower. With a weighted hook your frog should swim just below the surface if you retrieve slow enough so you may do ok. I know here in SE Minnesota the bass are deeper than normal this year....or seem to be to my buddy and I. We've been seeing late July bass antics for the last three weeks here.

Crazy…my boy an I threw some frogs the last two days. We were seeing a lot of fish feeding jumping up out of the water. Had a couple of good strikes but couldn’t get them hooked. Caught fish on some chatter baits and buzz baits though. Felt bad for my boy he hasn’t landed a fish had a number up close to the boat thst got off & one that hit his frog and buried itself in the Lilly pads fighting the fish and the frog popped out and flew up out of the pads and about hit him.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/06/21 06:25 UTC »
  I like to fish it with a pegged 1/16 oz Texas rig on 3/0 hook. This allows me to swim it over heavy cover then let it dive when it comes to the edge. If they are following it then that's when they take it. Fish it with your pole pointing up so it takes you a few seconds to reel down and set the hook. Too many guys set the hook too fast and miss them.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/06/21 18:51 UTC »
Fish it with your pole pointing up so it takes you a few seconds to reel down and set the hook. Too many guys set the hook too fast and miss them.

Good advice for the novice...

(My motto is "wait for the weight" before setting.)

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 07/06/21 19:44 UTC »
Well we go out for a little bit today and he tried a torpedo…..finally got one. He was pretty happy. But some thunder and lightning so we left after about 15-20min

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/07/21 07:10 UTC »
My squaw has the best way for frog or toad fishing. She gets a strike , SCREAMS and sets the hook. That seems like just the right timing for her.  ;D

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 07/08/21 06:14 UTC »
My squaw has the best way for frog or toad fishing. She gets a strike , SCREAMS and sets the hook. That seems like just the right timing for her.  ;D

NICE... (and even nicer that you still take her fishing)!