Author Topic: Arky jig questions  (Read 3032 times)

Offline LennynSquiggy

• Yearling
Arky jig questions
« on: 02/27/22 21:17 UTC »
Is there such a thing as an Arky jig mold that doesn't have a weedguard?

Does it affect the jigs action if you don't use a weedguard?

The Trokar Arky, that's the same as an Arky jig except with a Trokar hook?

Thanks guys.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Arky jig questions
« Reply #1 on: 02/27/22 21:53 UTC »
I don’t think one is made without a weedguard but you can use a Teflon pin in the weedguard spot and pour without it. If you wanted to just fill it in permanent, JB weld would do that or high temp RTV. The action isn’t affected without the weedguard. It makes a great bladed jig too.

Offline LennynSquiggy

• Yearling

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/28/22 10:15 UTC »
The Sparkie has a bit different head profile. It’s a little narrower.

Offline LennynSquiggy

• Yearling
« Reply #5 on: 02/28/22 11:32 UTC »
The Sparkie has a bit different head profile. It’s a little narrower.

Thanks friend!

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/01/22 08:38 UTC »
I'm a BIG fan of the Trokar Arky because of the collar design (for skirts and plastic trailers).  Even though the mold was designed for EC Trokar hooks, EC 730 series hooks fit perfectly since the dies both are made on have the same specs.

Another cheap option to make Arky jigs without the weed guard would be to cut/grind down the metal pins so they are flush with the edge of the mold cavities (and the jigs will come out looking like the Sparkie with an alternate collar design).

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #7 on: 03/01/22 09:02 UTC »
 Actually the Trokar Arky that Do It Molds produce are not the same as the other Arky heads produced in their other molds, They're still an Arky style, but the Trokar version is more angular in it's shape.

I like that mold a lot and really wish they made a version that will accept flat eye hooks. In addition to the Trokar hook, VMC, Mustad, Gamakatsu & Owner all make hooks that will fit, although some mod at the hook eye slot may be necessary.

This is a jig from that TK mold, shown without the weed guard. I also have added a wire keeper, that's an easy modification too.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 03/01/22 09:03 UTC »
This is the older Arky, that has a ball collar. I had modified this one too slightly so the ball held skirts better.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 03/01/22 09:09 UTC »
As you can see, same basic shape but the older Arky is more rounded in it's shape.  I have the newer Arky mold too, that has the longer ring & barb collar.  That head is also more rounded, and I've also added a wire keeper to that mold.

These are all good jigs but I tend to favor the Trokar version.  ;D

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 03/01/22 09:11 UTC »
As you can see, same basic shape but the older Arky is more rounded in it's shape.  I have the newer Arky mold too, that has the longer ring & cone collar.  That head is also more rounded, and I've also added a wire keeper to that mold.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/01/22 20:46 UTC »

In addition to the Trokar hook, VMC, Mustad, Gamakatsu & Owner all make hooks that will fit, although some mod at the hook eye slot may be necessary.

Exactly my point... and let's not forget the 60 degree Victory hooks.

Yes, the Trokar Arky (IMO) is a "must have" mold for bass jigs.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/02/22 03:45 UTC »
I prefer a 30* leg hook. We have lots of weeds here and a 60* just don't work as well.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 03/03/22 07:21 UTC »
Exactly my point... and let's not forget the 60 degree Victory hooks.

Yes, the Trokar Arky (IMO) is a "must have" mold for bass jigs.
I prefer a 30* leg hook. We have lots of weeds here and a 60* just don't work as well.

Yes sir and I can very much agree with you!  Do It has really done a great job with new design's that they've added over the years.

I also like the Victory hooks, plus others like Daiichi. All the major brands IMO make some good hooks. Not knocking Eagle Claw, but they could step it up with some of theirs. Trokar are excellent, most of the time, but inconsistent. I've gotten some that the points bent over too quickly, and that's likely a tempering problem, and for the price tag, I frankly prefer other brands. When I've gotten a Trokar  hook from them that did what it was intended, they've been awesome. My all around favorites are Owner, and if EC could fix their issues, Trokar would be right there too.

I also use various 30 degree hooks, but in molds that are made for them or a close angle. I modify many molds, but have not attempted to change any from using 60 degree to 30 degree, as there's some great molds for those hooks.  The Do It Weedless Casting Jig, Poisontail, & Weedless Bullet Bass are all molds I have and use a lot and they all will take various 30 degree hooks.  VMC, Victory & Mustad all make some 30 degree hooks that work great in these molds and are all excellent hooks. I've yet to have a customer complain about any of them. I've also got some Gamakatsu, but only use them in 5/0.

I like having these various styles of jigs as there's a time & place for fishing any of them and the waters here in Santee Cooper can vary a good bit depending on where you are on the lake or in the rivers.

Offline LennynSquiggy

• Yearling
« Reply #14 on: 03/16/22 22:53 UTC »
Thanks everybody, you've all been very helpful.