There are lots of posts here and in other forums about safety.
For me, I use a 1/2 face respirator with organic vapor and particulate filter, safety glasses, long sleeves, pants, close toed shoes and gloves. I also have a fan set up to blow the fumes out the door. I do the same if it is plastic or lead. You may see some people not as geared up and others may have fume hoods set up. For me melted plastisol and molten lead are nothing to mess around with. Most of the safety stuff costs less than $100 all in. Just my .02$.