Author Topic: 4" Wutz-it  (Read 935 times)

Offline deathaddersnakes

• Minnow
4" Wutz-it
« on: 09/26/22 06:39 UTC »
Hi All, very noob at making baits, just made some Wutz-it with Bait Plastics 242 and finding they are tearing after rigging them weedless with an extra widegap hook , is this plastic too soft or am i using the wrong rigging method

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
Re: 4" Wutz-it
« Reply #1 on: 09/26/22 08:25 UTC »
 Are you making 100% sure the plastisol is mixed up very good?
 The hardener is what settles to the bottom of the plastisol jug , so that is why you need to mix it well .

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/26/22 10:01 UTC »
I've used the 212 but not the 242 & am completely satisfied with it. I will say on tubes i mix medium & hard at a 50-50 ratio because the straight medium tears way to easily to suit me & I texas rig them so i use a wide gap hook in them. If you're not in a hurry to use the grubs let them hang & cure a few days & see if it's better. I did this when i first started using the 212 because in my opinion it was a wetter plastic than either the lureworks or the calhouns that i was use too because i thought it put off a little oil in the curing process but letting it hang & cure took care of that.  I was completely satisfied with both of them & didn't think i was going to like the baitplastics but after using it & figuring it out a little i am completely satisfied with it. You could always order some hard to mix with the medium or you may actually like the medium/saltwater strength better. Everybody likes things different.
« Last Edit: 09/26/22 10:03 UTC by Les Young »

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 09/26/22 14:18 UTC »
First things first.  Welcome to the forum.  I use the 242 blend quite a bit.  As others have said it needs to be thoroughly mixed before use.  Curing is a big part of the bait making process.  I try to allow a week before I use them to make sure they are fully cured.  I don't always take my own advise though so there is that.  I have not noticed any difference in strength of the plastics .  I use strictly medium blends and add softer for softer plastics.  If I need them tougher I usually go with a saltwater blend (this is for the really tiny baits I use for ultra light fishing).
I
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 09/27/22 16:07 UTC »
 I like to dip the nose of the bait in my cup of plastic to thicken that area if I'm using an ewg.

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #5 on: 09/28/22 09:54 UTC »
In my experience, curing is major in the strength of plastic.
Not all plastics are the same, also.

(Here BKJ goes on his curing rant 😁)

I aim for a minimum cure time of 4 weeks.  If I can cure 5-6 weeks, even better.

Baits that can hang true to their mold design get hung from their runner or sprue, on nails I have driven through 1-by lumber boards.

Example: Swimbaits with standard tails.  Finesse Worms.  Carrots.
These all hang perfect to their mold design.

Baits that don't hang true to their design:  Curltails.  Ribbontail Worms.
These baits get laid into pans as perfect as I can get them.
Baits that I have to lay in pans get turned over after one day, then get turned again after about a week, and will remain in that final position until the end of the total cure time of 4-6 weeks.

The most-important percentage of the plastics strength will be achieved after 3-5 days of cure.
I cure long so my baits don't get bent/distorted in the bag as they cure in the bag.  I HATE crooked baits.  If they're crooked/distorted they not only look like crap but they often don't function as designed.
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸