Author Topic: The Walleye head mold with eye sockets  (Read 828 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
The Walleye head mold with eye sockets
« on: 05/07/23 14:43 UTC »
What a sweet mold. Easy casting and if one looks closely at the smallest,1/16, cavity you’ll see that I have eliminated the cast on barb and collar. I added the 400 size wire keeper to the head though and it looks to be a dandy for crappies.

The heads on the right are done in my pet color of almost blue, a transparent candy purple laced with a generous amount of blue micro glitter. Those to the left are done in what I call aphrodisiac, the same candy purple but cut 50/50 with clear and dosed with a glitter mix of equal parts of blue, purple, green and copper micro-glitter. Seen up close in the sun it is an absolute turn-on, hence the name. Try expanding the picture to see the two finishes up close.
« Last Edit: 05/08/23 08:05 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Thee Walleye head mold with eye sockets
« Reply #1 on: 05/08/23 06:58 UTC »
  I have that mold and make my walleye jigs for Canada with it. Only I just remove the barb altogether and we tip it with a minnow. I've since started using the freestyle jig mold. Both are easy to pour.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: The Walleye head mold with eye sockets
« Reply #2 on: 05/08/23 08:16 UTC »
That free-style is an aggressive head too. The huge eye pockets really get the attention of anglers. The best selling head in this area, with the Mississippi River and Lake Pepin being a huge walleye draw, is the Teardrop with the keeper and eyes. All three of them are dandy jigs though.

The pictured walleye head without the barb and collar are just a pinch over 1/16 ounce with the #4 Victory hook cast in in with the keeper. I think it will fare nicely when, and if, I need something to stay vertical while drifting or trolling large areas of flat, deep water looking for schools of fish.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/08/23 08:31 UTC »
  I make 3/8 and 1/2 with 3/0 Victory hooks. I like that hook better then the eagle claw little nasty.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/08/23 09:14 UTC »
  I make 3/8 and 1/2 with 3/0 Victory hooks. I like that hook better then the eagle claw little nasty.

No doubt better. Much sharper.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #5 on: 05/08/23 09:26 UTC »
Nice looking jigs ctom!   I like that head too very much, for both plastics & tying hair jigs on them. It makes a great looking baitfish jig.  ;D

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 05/08/23 12:13 UTC »
Nice ties Jim!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they