Author Topic: I guess I'll get this started  (Read 25730 times)

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
I guess I'll get this started
« on: 12/17/12 17:02 UTC »
Well now that this section is here and since I'm about to start pouring lead for the 1st time I will share some tips that I've researched for the last several days.

1. Ventilation is a must not just for the obvious lead related issues but for the toxic chemicals that can be adhered to your recycled lead such as drain cleaners from lead pipe, when at all possible pour outside of your shop when 1st melting your scrap down.

2. Make absolutely sure there is no presence of water in or near your scrap or work area if you think molten plastic is a bang do a YouTube search for exploding lead.

3. Protect your investment such as your bottom pour furnace by fluxing your scrap in a pot or other vessel to prevent oxides from collecting on your pour valve - clean lead is your friend.

4. It is suggested that you create small ingots as opposed to large as dropping a large ingot to recharge your furnace can lead to splashing out of your furnace it will also drop the temperature of your furnace down to quickly leading to longer heat times.

5. Flux often as it will not hurt your lead and will help keep the other alloys in solution such as antimony, also helps with the flow in the mold.

#6 but not the last is to research, research and research there's allot of good info out there to keep you safe.

Safe and happy pouring.

Chris

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
Re: I guess I'll get this started
« Reply #1 on: 12/31/12 23:59 UTC »
That's all great information Chris, a real good start, but one can never have too many safety tips when pouring lead so I'll make a contribution as well:

--- wear your personal protective equipment (gloves, long sleeves, eye protection etc.)  the human body is no match for hot lead.

--- keep your work area clutter free... nothing can cause a nasty mishap quicker than a bunch of unneeded stuff about where you're trying to work.

---  clean things up when you're done.  You never know who might stumble across your lead dust or mess after you've left.  and don't forget... WASH YOUR HANDS.

there are more, add them as you think of them.

Jerry
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #2 on: 01/01/13 10:04 UTC »
And...

1.  Spend the money for a good face mask / ventilator.

2.  Keep an eye on your temperature control.  Don't let it get too hot.

3.  This may seem obvious, but keep your face away from the pot.  A bead of sweat could make for a bad day.

4.  Make sure the kids and the wife are "trained" to leave you alone when you are pouring.

5.  Make sure you're only pouring into molds that have hooks or keepers in them.

6.  Another obvious one...when dipping bad hook pours, use needle nose pliers, not your fingers.  I also keep a dry cotton rag available to wipe down the hook.  (Reminds me of a joke which will probably not make it past the joke police...Here goes...what do the starship Enterprise  and toilet paper have in common?  Answer...they both go around Uranus and are there to wipe out Klingons.).

7.  If you are using a Lee Production Pot, make sure to have something within arms reach to catch the hot lead should the pouring rod get stuck in the open position.  That's why it's important to maintain your equipment, use flux or a small ball of candle wax, etc.

8.  Keep that bucket of water available, just in case.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
I guess I'll get this started
« Reply #3 on: 01/01/13 10:58 UTC »
I keep a aloe plant in the shop for burns.

For the little splatters that get me. 

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #4 on: 01/01/13 12:14 UTC »
Good stuff Denny... I especially like this:

7.  If you are using a Lee Production Pot, make sure to have something within arms reach to catch the hot lead should the pouring rod get stuck in the open position.  That's why it's important to maintain your equipment, use flux or a small ball of candle wax,

Have a screw driver handy to manipulate the closing rod if it's dripping or stuck.  Use the cleanest, purest, softest lead available and even then flux often.  When it comes to "dirty" or hard lead... It's better to eliminate it than to deal with it.  It really only takes the smallest bit of slag in your bottom pour spout to cause you endless fits.

Jerry

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 09/26/13 16:51 UTC »
I felt I should add this since I didn't see it, but when you pour lead, you should have long sleeves and long pants in addition to a leather shoe. When it comes to the shirt and pants, they should be of 100% cotton, the shirt is more important as you are more likely to have lead get on your arms but it is best to be safe. The reason for the cotton shirt is because man made fibers like polyester, can and often will melt under high heat causing a worse burn over a larger area should molten lead end up on your shirt sleeve. I know a lot of you know this but there are always a few that don't so I figured it was relevant.

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #6 on: 09/26/13 17:03 UTC »
That's a good addition smalljaw... just saying "long sleeves, long pants, and closed toe shoes" is not always enough.  Some of the fabrics used to make clothing these days are nearly or possibly more dangerous than nothing at all when it comes to melting in the heat provided by a hot lead or plastic splash.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #7 on: 09/26/13 17:41 UTC »
I think we should all look at this page every now and again just to remind us that plastic and lead get hot.  We can smoke and joke all we want, but some things (like this) have to be taken seriously.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Kdog

• Yearling
« Reply #8 on: 12/09/14 19:27 UTC »
Felt this needed reopening.
I cast without gloves but would recommend wearing one on your mold holding hand

Safety Glasses are a must and I wear a hat and face shield because lil drippy can spatter and a lead burn on the lip hurts like the devil and not too pleasant on the top of your head.

Wishing y'all tight lines and bent wriggling rods. Happy Fishing!

Offline dandrus

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 03/09/15 14:04 UTC »
I'm wanting to get into the lead pooring, but want to be safe about it. What type of ventilation is recommended for pooring lead?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Offline Bucko

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 03/09/15 15:42 UTC »
Personally set up a table in my garage at the door.  I won't pour if it's raining, one drop of water in your pot can ruin your day.  I only pour if the wind isn't coming straight at me.  I place a box fan behind me and blow it past me.  If I am smelting ingots from scrap lead I only do it outdoors, in the garage is not an option.  I wear old work clothes and change out of them before going inside.  After pouring I clean everything with a rag then it goes in the trash.  No shop vac or air hose, I don't want any dust flying around.  No eating, no smoking, no drinking.  I may be a little over cautious, but I have 2 daughters and making sure they are safe is worth it. 

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 03/09/15 16:39 UTC »
Great reply Bucko, I'll add this; after your done; scrub your hands and lower arms like you were going into surgery! If you pick up a lead ingot; you got it on your hands! This is the way lead gets into your system.

Offline Bucko

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 03/09/15 17:36 UTC »
Thanks for adding that MuskyGary, can't believe I forgot to mention that.  Sheesh!

Offline dandrus

• Minnow
« Reply #13 on: 03/09/15 18:20 UTC »
Thanks for the info!  I really appreciate it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Offline crappie29

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 01/07/19 11:52 UTC »
hope i can get a reply as to old thread... i am also looking to casting my own lead. I was hoping that i could do this all in my basement, backstory is that i have a wife and two small kids, safety-wise would having a bathroom vent fan directly over head my work area suffice for ventilation?