Author Topic: More success with the Swing Jig  (Read 16070 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
More success with the Swing Jig
« on: 11/16/13 10:25 UTC »
Nice day yesterday...in the low 50s with no wind...so I took a 1/2 day of vacation and headed back to the river and those spots that were holding largemouth.

The water temperature had dropped from 41 degrees last week to 37 degrees so I wondered if they would still be willing to chase the swing jig. They were! Another 24 bass in the boat in about 3 hours.

I caught the most on the Baby Berry (probably because it was a smaller package) but caught the bigger bass on the Birch Bug which is noticeably larger. The Birch Bug runs really nice on that jig and is a perfect fit for the 3/0 hook I was using.

One thing that I noticed was that sometimes I would get really light taps...nibbles almost...that I thought last week were perch. Turns out they are 12-14" bass (and occasionally a larger fish) and I started catching them by continuing reeling (slowly!) while they were pecking at it. I would eventually see the rod load up and I would set the hook with a lot larger success percentage than setting the hook when I felt the light taps.

Just for the record, I was using 12lb test fluorocarbon line on a 7' St.Croix Mojo baitcasting (Plastics rod).

I'm really big on this jig and it works perfectly with either the Baby Berry, Berry Bug ( the larger size...I only had a couple and they loved them) and the Birch Bug. One of the rigging tips is to leave the hook tip just lay across the top of the bait or just the tip of the hook into the top of the plastic. Biffle recommends this in his videos on how to fish the Biffle Bug on this type of jig head.

As I mentioned in last weeks post, I'm adding the hook after I pour the head by opening up the eye of the hook and then carefully closing it again. I'm working on some holders using alligator clips from Radio Shack to hold the baits in the jig holders I bought from TJ's tackle so I can cure the powder pain  without the hooks also.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: More success with the Swing Jig
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/13 13:44 UTC »
Good going Mr. Andrew.  Thanks for the report. 
Did you try any other jig / bait combo?  I believe a free swinging bait might have advantages; but am curious if this theory is real; or just perceived. 

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #2 on: 11/16/13 14:07 UTC »
What type of "perceived" success do you think people are having with this technique Paul?
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline BareKnuckleJigs

• Lunker
  • ...the Nut behind the Bolt...
    • https://rumble.com/v10miez-world-premiere-watch-the-water.html
« Reply #3 on: 11/16/13 14:30 UTC »
I'm going to be loading mine with Carrots, 4" Curtail Worms, the Rear 'bout-half of a 6" Flippin' Stick, along with several others, on a Worm Hook.  I've got another variation up my sleeve, as well.

BTW, Fine Job Andy Sir.

2nd Edit- A swinging head minnow imitation will sport the tips-nipped/eyes-added FSJ.
« Last Edit: 11/16/13 14:34 UTC by BareKnuckleJigs »
.El Gnaw.

"Drizzle Spoon ROCKS!"  Jerry V
"Wash Your Hands"  BKJ
".DOMINATE."  BKJ

https://rumble.com/v1wac7i-world-premier-died-suddenly.html 👈😎

https://youtube.com/shorts/-I9g2VLfJAk?feature=share 👈😁🇺🇸🇺🇸

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/16/13 14:47 UTC »
Paul, I was curious about the same thing...was it really doing better than my other fall favorite the Arky jig...fished  very similar?

I fished both...and caught bass on both and I'm confident the swing jig was catching more bass in the situations I was fishing it (cold water in 15-20 ft of water).

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/16/13 15:12 UTC »
Don't you think the swing jig allows the bait to float up just a bit higher than a arkie jig? Also since you are slow reeling the bait constantly makes a fish strike quicker because he thinks it's getting away? When I fish a jig and plastic (especially in the fall) I hop it more and stop it; thus fish have more time to look it over and shy away. (My thoughts)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/16/13 15:43 UTC »
I would agree with you 100%. I think the baits I was using had a lot of float to them (it certainly looked that way when I was looking at them in shallow water at the ramp) and there is no doubt that the rig needs to be kept moving for best success. Biffle compares it to "crank bait" and that's the way I was fishing it. A really...really...SLOW crankbait!

I like the Arkie jig because the head allows it to be dragged across the bottom and I catch a lot of fish doing that. I also catch a lot of bass on the bait on the drop. But when looking at the Arkie and the Swing Jig in the water the Arkie was very linear and the Swing Jig was noticeably "hinged".

Do to diss one of my favorite baits...the MadDad 3xl...but I didn't catch a single bass using that on the swing jig. Now maybe if I had fished it longer I would have, but I just didn't have the confidence that it was floating as well as the larger bodied baits. I also fished the MudBug on the rig with some success, but again I'm not sure it had the float. If you look at the Biffle Bug that critter has a lot of float too!

I really think this jig and fishing method is the real deal, but I won't kid you, it's not an easy method. The boat has to be 100% standing still. You have to crank agonizingly slowly and the bait needed to stay ON the bottom. You really have to pay attention because sometimes the only clue you get is that the bait goes slack...or swims off to the side. Sometimes they really rap it other times it's only noticeable by watching the line. I don't think you could use this technique on a windy day. I question if this bait would work at all in the weeds. and an advantage I have fishing the river is the sandy bottom. I'm really thinking this bait will be good fishing the edge of the weeds in the current edge along the sandy bottom.

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/16/13 15:46 UTC »
Jerry;  I was wondering if the swing jig was actually having a higher catch rate than; say; the flat bottomed football jig would ( or in Andrew's case the Arky jig ).   Andrew answered that he did indeed fish a different jig and believes the swing jig did better.  We all have our own ideas of what should work the best; and often mine are proven wrong or incomplete in real world testing / application.  That said; I have little doubt that the swing jig is a solid; fish catching jig.  I purchased the mold and really like it; and I believe the free swinging hook concept is an improvement.   But; I have not tested this jig against other jigs and had the fish confirm / deny my belief. I was just wondering if Andrew had done any comparison testing. 

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/16/13 15:48 UTC »
Gary in my tank test it does allow the bait to float up little more.   I fish it like a crankbait. In rocks and timber. I have had good luck too. Not as good as Andy. But I have done ok with it.  I think  you can do anything with it.  I have had swim baits on it. And beavers and worms. 

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #9 on: 11/16/13 17:04 UTC »
Jerry;  I was wondering if the swing jig was actually having a higher catch rate than; say; the flat bottomed football jig would ( or in Andrew's case the Arky jig ).   Andrew answered that he did indeed fish a different jig and believes the swing jig did better.  We all have our own ideas of what should work the best; and often mine are proven wrong or incomplete in real world testing / application.  That said; I have little doubt that the swing jig is a solid; fish catching jig.  I purchased the mold and really like it; and I believe the free swinging hook concept is an improvement.   But; I have not tested this jig against other jigs and had the fish confirm / deny my belief. I was just wondering if Andrew had done any comparison testing.

I know where you were coming from Paul, but to have a 20-30 fish outing (3 hrs) in 40 degree water (twice) and wonder if a different presentation would out perform at that particular time.  I certainly wouldn't bother to stop and tie on a different jig at that point.
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 11/16/13 17:12 UTC »
As I mentioned in last weeks post, I'm adding the hook after I pour the head by opening up the eye of the hook and then carefully closing it again. I'm working on some holders using alligator clips from Radio Shack to hold the baits in the jig holders I bought from TJ's tackle so I can cure the powder pain  without the hooks also.

One thing that I do for jigs with an eye and no hooks is hang them in my toaster oven.
I made a few hooked tools using tig welding wire sort of like a mini gaff hook.
I heat them and them dip using my hook tool then hang them on some wire I have hanging from the rack in my toaster oven. I can hang really long saltwater jigs this way also by using two hooks and hanging them vertically.
I have heard that the wire hooks made for hanging Christmas ornaments can be had pretty cheap especially after the holidays on Christmas sales. These would probably work well for your bass sized jigs.
Thanks for the reports on the new jig.
We don't have bass in Alaska so I don't intend to buy that mold but will report when I get out icefishing using the new shad head mold for Trout and landlocked salmon.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 11/16/13 17:17 UTC »
I know where you were coming from Paul, but to have a 20-30 fish outing (3 hrs) in 40 degree water (twice) and wonder if a different presentation would out perform at that particular time.  I certainly wouldn't bother to stop and tie on a different jig at that point.

That is so true. If I would have seen Andrew catching all those fish I would not have any problem tying a swing jig on. If some thing else worked, who cares. Just keep on catching. I had a non boater watch me catch fish all day. I kept offering some of my baits but he said no because it was my idea. I thought seriously ?

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
More success with the Swing Jig
« Reply #12 on: 11/16/13 17:58 UTC »
Lamar. I'm never To proud to take stuff that works.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/16/13 18:04 UTC »
Lamar. I'm never To proud to take stuff that works.

Lol ! Me either. I steel my buddies baits all the time.
« Last Edit: 11/17/13 05:46 UTC by Lamar »

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 11/16/13 23:49 UTC »
To hang my stuff to cure I use paper clips ( Unfold them ). 
Hint  --  Don't use the ones that are plastic covered  ::).