Author Topic: newbie stupid question  (Read 1744 times)

Offline parrothead

• Minnow
newbie stupid question
« on: 04/05/21 08:55 UTC »
Well here's the stupid question of the day.  When using your injector do you try/tend to draw plastic from the very top of the measuring cup (avoiding covering the nozzle with plastic) or do you trend/try to get it deep into the measuring cup (thereby avoiding possibly getting air into the injector).  Just curious

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
Re: newbie stupid question
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/21 09:14 UTC »
I do neither.   I actually prefer to pour the material from the cup into the injector and then put the nozzle on and squeeze out the air at the top.  Just be sure to have your gloves and other protective gear on. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/05/21 12:03 UTC »
I don't pour plastic for any reason. I stick the nozzle in the plastic, but not the whole end cap, and pull the plastic up into the cylinder. Any air that gets in there will rise to the top of the plastic column inside the injector. Pouring that hot plastic is a mess and a nightmare.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/05/21 14:03 UTC »
I do neither.   I actually prefer to pour the material from the cup into the injector and then put the nozzle on and squeeze out the air at the top.  Just be sure to have your gloves and other protective gear on.
I do the same, Jerry V style! @4:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPzjiHmAqb8 

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/05/21 15:54 UTC »
I do the same, Jerry V style! @4:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPzjiHmAqb8 
I did the Jerry V. method until I starting using the melting pots. Now I suck out of the pot by dipping the tip below the surface. I need to have an injector tip made that is about 1 1/2" long (only the 5/8" section) so I don't get the wide part of the tip covered, and also wouldn't have to worry about sucking air. I inquired with Basstackle.com about making one, but they weren't interested. They thought the plastisol would cool too quickly and clog. Maybe someone on here would be interested in machining one for me. I think it would be much easier to see the sprue, and make much less mess.
Anyone else feel this way?
« Last Edit: 04/05/21 17:59 UTC by Lines »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/05/21 17:54 UTC »
Way back in the beginning of my plastic injection history, I would draw up from the bottom (drawing from the bottom gets less air than drawing from the top), but I was forever annoyed by any air in my injector... since Jerry V. told me about direct pouring, I've never looked back.  I don't feel pouring is risky or problematic at all, but it really comes down to what YOU are comfortable with.

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 04/05/21 18:00 UTC »
i stick it in the cup, not really worrying about how much is on the injector and draw up, its only messy if the injector hits something, otherwise it cools quickly and cleans up easy. more or less what chris jones does on worlds worst fishing on youtube. if i get to the bottom of the cup and draw some air up i purge the injectors back in the cup a little to get the air out.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/06/21 05:56 UTC »
I don't pour plastic for any reason. I stick the nozzle in the plastic, but not the whole end cap, and pull the plastic up into the cylinder. Any air that gets in there will rise to the top of the plastic column inside the injector. Pouring that hot plastic is a mess and a nightmare.

I'm the same way. I suck it up from the middle to the bottom and then purge the air out before I shot it.

Offline parrothead

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 04/06/21 08:38 UTC »
Thanks to all who replied; just watched the video; neat idea, something I never thought of so I glad I asked "stupid question"  I'll try it and see

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/07/21 18:37 UTC »
I suck from bottom of pyrex cup. No way i'm pouring into the injector because i'm trying to reduce the chance of  getting burnt all that i can.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/07/21 19:33 UTC »
I poured into the injector for close to 3 years. Always wore gloves. Never got burnt once. Lucky I suppose.

Offline bryanmc57

• Keeper
« Reply #11 on: 04/08/21 07:51 UTC »
The chance of getting burnt sucking the plastic up from the cup is too small to measure.  There is a greater chance of getting burnt pouring hot plastic into an open injector (despite those that have done it without getting burnt).  Pouring also adds the extra step of having to "burp" the injector.  IMO, sucking the plastic up from the cup is smoother and faster,

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/08/21 09:20 UTC »
I just suck the plastic up with the injector from the bottom of the cup up and if I'm concerned about bubbles or anything I flip the injector with the nozzle up and slowly push to remove bubbles. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/08/21 11:04 UTC »
I have scars from pouring hence why I pull the plastic into the injector. Really though, there is no right or wrong way to fill. Its just a matter of personal preference.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 04/08/21 13:24 UTC »
I have done both but prefer to just suck it up.