Author Topic: Round head jig with a wide gap hook  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Dustman50

• Minnow
Round head jig with a wide gap hook
« on: 03/26/19 08:59 UTC »
Does anyone know of a round head mold that will take a wide gap hook or one that can be easily modified

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Round head jig with a wide gap hook
« Reply #1 on: 03/26/19 10:15 UTC »
Welcome aboard Dustman.

Have you got a picture of the hook? Easier to answer if we can see what we're dealing with as there are a million different wide-gaps out there today. OR what's the brand and style number of the hook you want to use?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Dustman50

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 03/26/19 12:03 UTC »
Any light wire 1/0 wide gap i am making marabou jigs and my customers are wanting a wide gap hook i make 1/16oz to 1/4oz i would prefer a gamakatsu hook if at all possible

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/26/19 12:51 UTC »
Light wire hooks are pretty easy to get to fit most molds as long as they are not the flat eye hooks. If you have a mold simply lay the hook you are considering in the cavity with everything lined up as you wish, carefully close the mold and continue to pinch the handles while laying the mold flat on a hard surface and giving the up-facing side a solid swat with a plastic hammer. Two swats max. D this with the other cavities as long as hook extension isn't an interference  with what you've already done.

Do-It's sand cast molds are very soft aluminum and lend themselves to tweeking real well.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Dustman50

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 03/26/19 12:55 UTC »
Thanks for the info i will give this a try

Offline LurkingLurer

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 04/17/19 02:24 UTC »
Been a lurker for a while and decided to join the community, good timing too. I would imagine that you want an Optional Jig Hook it's for Do-It Jig Molds. I have one and my model is ARK-18-Y.  Quite a handy little thing. If you got any more questions I would be just happy to help you answer them.  You see I know what it's like. I was always and constantly asking people for good equipment and tips on fishing. I actually remember arguing with a person about fishing at night and how wrong I was. I would keep saying that fishing at night is way more harder than in the day. I do remember that he said something about "glow in the dark fishing lures". Naturally, in time I had to practice and try all that he told me about it. Turns out that fishing with glow in the dark lures is a whole new technique. Just so you know the glow effect is highly enticing for predatory fish. You see, the different colours have different options and reasons to be. I know all this because I had to get my answer through mistakes and experience. I tried fishing at night and it's actually quite enjoyable. Now when I get ready to fish at night I get my trusty Truscend Bass and Trout fishing lure. It was helpful to read up on the whole fishing at night equipment, like as I read at http://huntingfishingplus.com/best-glow-in-the-dark-fishing-lures/ "The key to night fishing is the moves and vibrations your lure emits." in other words said this basically means what we most know that we need our lure to look and behave realistically. You can pick up whatever model you like. My lure holds up a solid 12 hours too, which is more than enough for a good night fishing adventure. If you're still interested there is a short and well-informed video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9mwt2Yg2Ag  After reading some articles and trying it for real I just knew that this had to be told to others who just like me could be having the same frustrations. I would also recommend a chargeable lure. With a chargeable lure, you pretty much have more options like "buzzing" and the light effect. It's up to you at the end of the day. Was happy to answer your question and give some personal tips and tricks. Would be happy to see what someone else has to say about their fishing trips at night.