Author Topic: First Jigs - Feedback Welcome  (Read 2639 times)

Offline KansasAngler

• Minnow
First Jigs - Feedback Welcome
« on: 01/23/20 19:52 UTC »
Hey all,

I took the dive, picking up the gear to pour my own jigs to give me something to do in the winter months when the fishing slows down.

I make video of my first experience and would love any feedback you have.  After these first jigs, I'm focusing on the temperature of the jig when painting to get more consistent colors.  Take a look and let me know how you think I can improve. All feedback welcome.

Here's the link to the vide: https://youtu.be/ZXO-xbpoxzk

~~ Tim

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: First Jigs - Feedback Welcome
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/20 20:18 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums KansasAngler. It appears you have the bull by the horns on the jig making. Nice clean jigs is what I saw. Good job on the first attempt.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 01/23/20 23:20 UTC »
Welcome great video for the first run of jigs.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/24/20 08:35 UTC »
Looking good, Tim and welcome to custombaits.com.  Great first go-round and a nice video.  Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing more of your creations.  Have a great weekend.
« Last Edit: 01/24/20 10:48 UTC by Kyle »

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/24/20 15:47 UTC »
Well done and welcome. A few suggestions I would offer is hold your mold up closer to the pot spout. This keeps the lead from having a chance to cool or more importantly splash on you. As for removing the spur I use to do the grip and twist method. I have since found using a pair of cheap flush cutters from Harbor Freight or Amazon much more efficient. You can get a nice close cut as opposed to a pair of side cuts. 

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 01/25/20 05:40 UTC »
A couple strokes with a file will clean the spru area.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/25/20 08:21 UTC »
To remove the spru I cut it off with cutters and then trim it flat with a broad blade pocket knife. Then I rub the bottom of the blade over the area to smooth it out best I can.

I stopped using a file because it was creating lead dust which is a significant health hazard.

Whatever method you use, do it over a large piece of paper and then carefully fold up the paper and discard so you do not leave any tiny lead pieces or dust laying around.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/25/20 10:01 UTC »
If you use a file, do it over an old terry cloth hand towel. The fibers keep any lead residue from migrating and a simple shake outside gets it gone when you're finished.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/26/20 05:40 UTC »
That is actually a great first round, well done!! When it comes to powder paint with glitter in it there is a better way to get more consistent results. Get a paper bowl like Dixie or something similar, a small size one, then shake your jar of paint and dump about half the jar into the bowl. Now heat the head and then give it a quick swish through the paint in the bowl.

Offline Skimpy253

• Kicker
  • Delano Fanony aka That Guy Skimpy
    • https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy
« Reply #9 on: 02/05/20 12:22 UTC »
Great work !
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/ThatGuySkimpy