Author Topic: Wahoo trolling sinkers  (Read 6652 times)

Offline tigermeat1w@gmail.com

• Minnow
Wahoo trolling sinkers
« on: 02/03/20 03:24 UTC »
High-speed wahoo trolling requires heavy trolling sinkers.  The cable-through design has gained popularity to the point where nobody will purchase a sinker with cast-in eyes.  The Do-It in-line trolling sinkers are very efficient with the weight-forward design, but also archaic with no options aside from the brass eyes.

I would like a set of 20/24 oz., 32 oz., 48 oz., and 64 oz. in-line trolling sinker molds either machined for 3/32” pull pins, or simply not machined for the brass eyes/swivels so I can machine them myself for pull pins.
« Last Edit: 02/07/20 00:45 UTC by tigermeat1w@gmail.com »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Wahoo trolling sinkers
« Reply #1 on: 02/10/20 21:20 UTC »
Welcome tigermeat~

It seems there are not a lot of suggestions in this department, but I'll throw out my idea of how to accomplish your goal...

With the limited response here, I think there also would be limited demand for what you seek (and Do-it likely would not create something with such limited return); therefore I would suggest you modify one or more of the cannon ball molds to create the weights you want... a little JB putty in the mold can help make it as you might desire (creating unique shapes and/or sizes) and making the cable hole can be accomplished by drilling the mold and inserting a brass rod (hardware stores have basic sizes, but specialty sizes certainly are available if you look elsewhere)... pretty easy to trim the flashing where the eye is after casting or fill it JB before.   

Lot's of guys on this site (including myself) have modified lead molds, so keep asking if you need help or ideas to get what you are looking for.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 02/11/20 12:19 UTC »
Welcome too the family
https://store.do-itmolds.com/In-Line-Trolling-SinkerbrSz-64_p_677.html
JB Weld the eyelets and let dry than cut were your putting  the rod in.
Hope this helped.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 02/12/20 00:30 UTC »
The Do-It trolling sinker shape is excellent, the brass eyes are not.  I have been using the in-line trolling sinkers since the 1980’s for high-speed wahoo trolling.  This is a crazy large and growing part of the saltwater fishing world.  Demand for quality trolling sinkers is large.

I have previously machined pull-pin slots into the molds and already produce cable-through sinkers with brass bores.  The problem is the pull-pin slots go right through the machining for the brass eyes and their isn’t enough material there to be durable.  I’m looking to replace a complete set of molds that are past their service life.

All I’m after is the molds without the machining for the brass eyes so I can start with a “clean slate” to machine the slots for the pull-pins.  Not looking to Do-It to do more, but rather less.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 02/12/20 00:58 UTC »
The problem is that the master that makes the mold are not made that way. And a whole new master would need to be made. Call and talk to Kyle.

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 02/12/20 01:16 UTC »
The machining for the eyes appears to be done last.  It has nothing to do with the casting, and therefore not the master.

How do I get in touch with Kyle? 

For the large trolling sinkers the molds are outdated.  Nobody will buy a 64 oz. trolling sinker with brass eyes.  Aside from high-speed wahoo trolling I don’t know an application for the large in-line sinkers.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/20 07:16 UTC »
Kyle......1-866-984-3648 and ask for him
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/20 16:23 UTC »
Kyle......1-866-984-3648 and ask for him

Thank you.

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 02/29/20 09:24 UTC »
Follow-up:

Kyle was very receptive to my request and turned me over to the production manager, Mark.  Due to production cycles it will take as much as two months to acquire the full set of unfinished molds I’m looking for, but I will get them.

To keep it fair for Do-It I’m purchasing 20 molds, five of each of the four sizes.  I will do the machining for the pull-pins/brass bores myself, but this time on fresh blanks without the interference of the brass eye sockets.

Thanks to those who replied to help me with this, and the staff at Do-it.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 02/29/20 11:29 UTC »
Glad that you were able to get what you needed . DO-IT has the best costumer service hands down.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 03/01/20 18:51 UTC »
Both Kyle and Brennan are stand-up guys for customer service. Mark is a great one to work with as well. Honestly, the whole of Do-It is amazing to work with.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/20 21:33 UTC »
I have those trolling sinker molds up to 32oz iirc.
Though in mine I use stainless steel eyelets never brass.
Mine was made by Shawn Collins customs.
He can make you what you need no machining required by you.
He's not cheap but quality never is!

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

• Minnow
« Reply #12 on: 04/26/20 13:54 UTC »
I have the Collins Customs trolling bar molds from 24-64 oz.  The Do-it molds make a much better sinker.  A 48 oz. Do-It in-line sinker will take a lure deeper than a 64 oz. trolling bar.

Many of my customers use the trolling sinkers in conjunction with planer bridles.  Only the smallest of trolling bars can be rigged to fit the standard 16” planer bridle rigs.  I can rig a 64 oz. Do-It sinker and stay within the 16”.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/26/20 14:06 UTC »
Awesome.. I hope to see some finished pics of your product...  8)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #14 on: 04/26/20 15:36 UTC »
I’d like also to see the set up and fish caught on it. 8)