Author Topic: Small vertical jigging lures  (Read 2355 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Small vertical jigging lures
« on: 03/01/20 12:44 UTC »
I posted a picture of the two lures made up in another venue but will post the finished bodies I have waiting on hooks to finish them.

These bodies weigh 1/13 of an ounce and get a #12 treble. I like jigging lures like this year round especially when crappies are relating to sunken wood. If I get hung up I clip on a 1 ounce bass casting sinker and let it drop on a loose line and the lure will pop right off the wood. These work exceptionally well on the docks early on right after ice out and again late in the fall when tipped with a small plastic or a waxie. For ice fishing they are a very good lure.

When I ordered hooks I was told that this virus crap in China could be a real snag as far as getting what one needs. This coming from the owner of my hook supplier. I may order a bunch of the sizes I use on my micro cranks as well as the Lil Nastys that I use in my 1/32 and 1/16 heads. Just be aware that if this China virus hangs on for very long hook acquisition may get to be a problem.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
Re: Small vertical jigging lures
« Reply #1 on: 03/04/20 19:21 UTC »
Those will work!!  I got a bunch of auctions on Ebay for trebles and I have almost 8000 jig hooks between matzuo, mustad, eagle claw, little nasties and I have lots's already poured!!  So I should be good!! 

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/20 22:40 UTC »
I have a few molds for small vertical jigs down to 1/8 oz.
A few Shawn Collins mold that call for small eyelets (I use SS no brass eyelets allowed in my shop) so I can use the hooks of my choice.
Personally I buy Eagle Claw hooks whenever I can get them to work for what I need.
Although I do own a few molds that call for Mustad or other hooks I have plenty in stock for now.
Overall no worries from me on the Chinese hooks!
From the Eagle Claw site:

We continue to manufacture all of our world famous fishhooks in Denver, Colorado and are extremely proud to be the only brand of fishhooks "Made In The USA!" We are proud stewards of an 90+ year American legacy and the most recognizable brand name in all of fishing.

« Last Edit: 03/04/20 22:45 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/05/20 07:18 UTC »
I agree Kasilofchrisn.
Eagle Claw is my go to hook as well.

USA
USA
USA
USA!
« Last Edit: 03/05/20 07:27 UTC by Lines »