Author Topic: Common Colors  (Read 1743 times)

Offline rambaits

• Minnow
Common Colors
« on: 03/25/20 02:10 UTC »
I just ordered my first soft plastic molds and the Do-it essentials kit. This kit includes watermelon green, charthreuse, june bug, and motor oil colorant as well as holographic silver and fire red flakes. Other than just using one of the colors by itself, what are some common colors I can make with this by mixing them? Also will mixing two colors together, such as green and chartreuse, give me a lighter color or will one just get washed out? Also how many drops of color should I use? I ordered a 3” grub and a 5” senko mold and am completely new to this. I can’t wait to get started and hear your suggestions.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Common Colors
« Reply #1 on: 03/25/20 09:29 UTC »
Welcome to the addiction Rambaits!

The Essentials kit is nice in that it will allow you to get started without a lot of mixing...helps shorten the learning curve a bit, especially with the two molds you have coming. Personally I would find a color wheel in a local hobby or craft store. A wheel will show you potential color you can whip up using colors you have, plus it can show you what other colors you'll want to acquire to expand your horizons color-wise, and you will find that you'll want to expand that.

You'll find that glitters either compliment a plastic color or contrast with it so expanding some glitter colors will come along too. I tend to favor working with smaller baits and like using the .008 or .015 sizes of flake while others who work more with baits in the sizes you've chosen might prefer even the .040 size or will blend the .015 and .040.

The absolute MUST have that does not come with the kit you have purchased is the digital, probe type of thermometer that Do-It sells in the plastics area of the catalog or on-line store. You need to learn to live by its temperature readings. Another must have that is free is a notebook and pencil to record what you are doing step by step to get to a finished bait or certain color.

Perhaps the best I can offer is also free and is to go into all of the plastics forums that deal with the actual creating [cooking] of the plastic and go back several pages a in each forum and read, read, read. Of course there are lots of seasoned people here who will readily help out if you have questions or get into a snag so feel free to stay in touch here.

Again, welcome aboard!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/25/20 12:03 UTC »
Not only here, but tackle underground is where i’d look. There are a huge amount of recipes pinned at the top of the soft plastics forum there &  just  like the guys here you’ll get some great help from the guys there too. There are some great recipies , but you can make up your own colors too.  An example would be Junebug with either watermelon or the chartreuse mixed in to create something you like yourself. I make a close look to zooms ruby red  that  has  either 3 or 4 different colors in it to match a hair jig that  I throw. I’d think you could take pumpkinseed & watermelon or a smidgen of chartreuse & have your own take on root beer pepper green with some small black & medium green glitter.  Ctom is a man you want to listen to.
« Last Edit: 03/25/20 12:10 UTC by Les Young »

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/25/20 20:24 UTC »
Welcome to custombaits.com Rambaits! You're gonna love your new addiction. Lots of good information in here. Have fun!

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/27/20 08:47 UTC »
Welcome to the family.  ;)
There is a lot of know how here.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/27/20 19:49 UTC »
I used to keep track of specific bait colors in the beginning, but now everything I make is from my basic rules of thumb or by the eye because I just don't think subtle variations in color make that much difference to the fish.  Also, realize that most everything posted in the forum is the preference of the user, so find what you like and run with it!

My basic rules are:
> one drop colorant per ounce of plastic
> one teaspoon glitter per cup of plastic

So a 4oz batch would have 4 drops colorant and/or 1/2 tsp glitter... more times than not, I am using one or the other rather than both.

I hope this helps.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/27/20 20:47 UTC »
My basic rules are:
> one drop colorant per ounce of plastic

Assuming you are using the stronger colorants, such as the X2 from Do-It. Not everyone uses that colorant and even the Essential will usually require a tad more than a drop per ounce. I have MF colors that will take 20 drops per ounce to get a decent color in the finished plastic.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/27/20 21:04 UTC »
Right, I'm talking X2 colorants... (I can't speak for other brands).

Offline rambaits

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 04/12/20 16:28 UTC »
Thanks for all the advice and to reply specifically to Ctom, I purchased an infared thermometer that Ryobi makes from Home Depot and love the results so far. Caught a 4lb largemouth on a junebug with blue glitter 5” senko I made myself the other day and I think I’m hooked for life.

Offline Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 04/12/20 16:55 UTC »
Caught a 4lb largemouth on a junebug with blue glitter 5” senko I made myself the other day and I think I’m hooked for life.
Yep you're ruined now.  ;D