Author Topic: Questions about getting started  (Read 1736 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Minnow
Questions about getting started
« on: 04/09/20 11:59 UTC »
Hey, checked out the site about a week ago (after learning about it from a YouTube video, then watching a couple other ones), and checked the site and forum a little bit. And I feel like this is something that I would enjoy doing. Not really about making lures. Maybe in the future. But right now I'm interested in making soft plastics. I'm also not really interested in making them for myself, I'm more interested in selling them locally (and who knows where it could take me). So I was wondering, does anyone make them, then sells them? If so, how did you get started? I already know about safety (gloves, respirator, eyewear etc.) And a bit about the hardware (molds, microwave etc)

How many baits can you make? (Lets say, using the 1 Gallon Plastisol)? (I realize different baits/molds use a different amount, so below is what I am currently looking at making)
I am currently looking at making grubs (the 2.5" K-chub), some kind of swimbait, and some tubes. I wouldn't start off with all that at once. I would start with one of them, probably the grubs (until I got the hang of). Then after I had a nice supply of them (and they were selling), then I would start making something else.

Lets start with that, then I should have a few more inquiries after that.

Thanks a bunch

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Questions about getting started
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/20 12:27 UTC »
Welcome aboard Abe. Lots of good info can be found here and questions you have can be answered here.

You seem to have a decent grip on the progression of making and selling  in that you're not looking to go into it with both feet. I agree that the K Grub is an easy bait to learn with and the learning curve with that mold should cover any little things that pop up that makes you learn your way thru them. There are several members here that sell baits so they may have some pearls of wisdom for you.

Personally I will tell you to get the digital probe type of thermometer that Do-It sells in their on-line store and live by it when starting out. And a notebook. Record every single action while you are starting out while actually making the plastic and the baits so you have a record of what happens from point a to point b....if something goes awry you'll have an immediate reference to fall back on.

Others will hop on and help you along too with colors and other goodies you'll likely want to use.

Again, welcome to the Do-It forums. Enjoy!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline AbeFroman

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/20 15:00 UTC »

Others will hop on and help you along too with colors and other goodies you'll likely want to use.

Is there anyone that you can think of that can be tagged and they can give their input?

Offline brennan.chapman

• Administrator
  • Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 04/09/20 15:46 UTC »
Abe,

Welcome. I don't have much to add to the business side, so hopefully some others have some insight that they can share. However, I think you will find that the demand for different baits in each area largely varies. If it were me, I'd keep my eyes on the horizon and ears to the ground and begin by absorbing information. Find the baits my local anglers or specific bodies of water demand and find a way to do it better <-- That's the fun part and why we do it!

Like ctom mentioned, a thermometer will be your best friend for awhile.

If you have any specific technical questions, we're here to help.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 04/10/20 04:38 UTC »
Welcome to the family Abe. When working with soft plastics along with digital thermometer to make bait’s in a well ventilated area along with wearing a respirator, face shield, long sleeved shirt, heat resistant gloves, pant, and shoes. And pay attention not to burn the plastic if your using a microwave too heat with you should start heating in 30 second increments it will start out white and as you heat it we’ll start to get clear and thick like honey than when it gets  to 350 degrees it will be crystal clear and like water than add colorant and glitter and each 30 second cycle you should stir and take a temp reading do not touch the bottom or sides of the Pyrex cup. The 2.5” grub is a great mold to start with but you will find that once you start that you see other molds that suite the species of fish that you are targeting. Have fun a be safe. Once you catch a fish on something you make you be hooked.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/20 08:50 UTC »
Welcome to the family. This is quite addicting and a ton of fun to do. I've never sold any but have gave away a ton.