Author Topic: Needing help with this spinner Jig mold finding hook that works.  (Read 911 times)

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
I have the spinner jig mold. SJ-4-A mold. It was a used one I picked up off ebay awhile ago.

The mold said to use Eagle Claw 253 hooks in 2/0 or 3/0. So I ordered some spinner wires and a box of 253 hooks.

Well package came and crap I must have accidentally ordered the wrong hook I got the 253L. Which is a live bait hook…. Ok….next time I order I’ll get the right one and move up a bit in hook size. So I just had the eagle claw 253 spinner jig hook delivered the other day. I went down to pour the spinner and crap….the hook shank is just to short when I put the spinner wire In it. It ends up being at just the very bottom of the neck and prevents the lead from pouring down filling the last ball of the neck.

So my question is did this spinner bait have a different wire forum? Did the 253 hook use to be longer on the hook shank?

I’m thinking maybe trying a Long Shank Aberdeen hook to fix the problem. However I can’t find any around the stores here. Since I already have 200 eagle claw  253 hooks I don’t really want to end up with another 100 hooks that don’t work.

Anyone know of a hook that works?
« Last Edit: 06/24/21 23:04 UTC by Agronomist_at_ia »

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
You should have bought the L255 not the 253.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
You should have bought the L255 not the 253.

I see the L255 is a longer shank....might work.....I got the 253 though because that's what the mold said to.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Here is a L253 2/0 in mold barely fits but lead doesn’t pour over it in the bottom of neck.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Here is the 253 3/0 hook a little better but still low in the neck so it doesn’t pour for crap.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Here was the longest Aberdeen hook I had….worked a little better still didn’t pour the best.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Here is how the three hooks measured. Anyone know how long the 255 is? Or can somebody post a pick so I can see the 255 measurements.
« Last Edit: 06/25/21 01:34 UTC by Agronomist_at_ia »

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
The wire and hook eye connection needs to be in the largest diameter area of the head. Personally, I would remove aluminum on that mold to accept the hooks that I want.  I never liked that mold anyway. Way too many other better choices.

Offline Do-It Corp.

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
That mold was built in 1981.  Back then, the spinner jig wire form was different.  Also, the connection of the wire and the hook should lay inside the head and not the collar.  At that time, most spinnerbaits had a shorter hook shank compared to today.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
So I’ll start out by saying I’m probably wrong on this, but could it be that mold is designed not to have the wire and hook embedded?  What I mean is could it be intended to pour with just the wire and attach the hook with a twist loop after pouring?  I guess that would mean the wire would have to have a crimp in it to keep it from sliding. I base this on the fact that the mold does not have inset steps to account for the tips of the two hook sizes.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
That mold was built in 1981.  Back then, the spinner jig wire form was different.  Also, the connection of the wire and the hook should lay inside the head and not the collar.  At that time, most spinnerbaits had a shorter hook shank compared to today.

I think you mean a longer hook shank.

Thinking with the long shank hooks….It should work fine.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
You have the hook positioned wrong. The sprue is on the underside of that spinnerbait not the top. If you flip the hook around so the point is on the opposite side you'll see it will go in a lot further. It is backward from the way they are now oriented but it was due to how the old wire forms were made. Give that a try and see what happens.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
So I tried the hook the other way. Fit up into the head fine, but then there is no way to make a preformed wire made for a spinner work in it and be able to pour......I have no Idea how an old style spinner wire would even look to make it work in this.

So.....I believe there is two ways this mold can still work.

1st and easiest way is to find a long enough long shanked hook to fit up in the head better and allow me to pour it using current wire spinner forms.

2nd use a straight line wire to pour it the bend the wire form after to make the spinner wire.

Hopefully the 1st works.

Online Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Well….got the long shank hooks….doesn’t want to work….long shank is still to short to work well. I was lucky though and got a set of molds for $50 shipped off eBay. A buzz spin & the new version of this same style spin jig mold. Old mold isn’t a total bust though….the wire slot to hook slot was straight on it. So I was able to make slip jigs with it.