Author Topic: Slow color change  (Read 1477 times)

Offline fishing1002

• Minnow
Slow color change
« on: 06/09/21 10:43 UTC »
Can anyone tell me why my jig heads are touring blue/gold after a few days sometimes even a week. They come out shiny and I put them up to cool. After a few days they start to turn colors. I will attach a pic of some that turned on me. Pouring at 800f spin casting. Thanks for any help.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Slow color change
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/21 12:24 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It tackle forums!

Lead too hot when pouring? Maybe humidity? Are you using pure lead....wheel weight lead can change colors because of the alloys found in that lead.
« Last Edit: 06/09/21 12:27 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/21 15:04 UTC »
Lead in Gold: You're an alchemist! Did you find the philosopher's Stone? Be careful because some alchemists were burnt at the stake.
Seriously, there could probably be something like Bismuth in your lead.
Bye.

Cami

Offline fishing1002

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 06/09/21 22:14 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It tackle forums!

Lead too hot when pouring? Maybe humidity? Are you using pure lead....wheel weight lead can change colors because of the alloys found in that lead.

I bought the lead as “pure soft lead” so hopefully it is pure. I pour at 800f temp. I didn’t know humidity could cause that. That could be it, it is pretty humid in my garage. I’ll have to bring them inside to let them cool to see if that helps. Thank you!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/10/21 04:47 UTC »
I'd try casting a bit cooler before anything. The color change doesn't harm a thing, just so you know.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline fishing1002

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 06/10/21 07:56 UTC »
I'd try casting a bit cooler before anything. The color change doesn't harm a thing, just so you know.

Thanks I'll try at a cooler temp too. I'm selling these jigs and people like that shiny fresh lead look is why I don't want the color change. Thanks again for the help.

Offline smalljaw

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/10/21 08:13 UTC »
Pure soft lead at 800 degrees is too hot. You should be under 700 to be honest. The oil slick type color is how you can tell when your lead is too hot. I've never saw the color change like that after they were poured so it may be possible to fix that.  Try sitting the jigs in a small bowl of acetone for a few hours and then rinse with some warm water and let dry and see if it comes off. If it does it likely means there is something in your environment causing rapid oxidation of the lead and that is something I haven't encountered. Most likely it is your lead temperature but try the acetone and see what happens.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/10/21 12:29 UTC »
Welcome to the forums.  Yeah it sounds like you're getting your lead a little bit to hot.  What method are you using to melt it? I use a Lee electric melting pot and its been doing me great so far and  I have done a lot of jigs.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/10/21 20:47 UTC »
You should be under 700 to be honest. The oil slick type color is how you can tell when your lead is too hot.

X2

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/10/21 21:51 UTC »
I’ve seen this color on soft lead when I make ingots in a big pot with a propane heat source. It’s easy to go hot when doing this. That said, when I use my Lee pot pouring jigs I don’t see it. Electric heat source thermostatically controlled.
For me, too hot makes sense.