Author Topic: Field testing  (Read 336 times)

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
Field testing
« on: 11/16/21 13:10 UTC »
Only a bait maker can understand the joy we get shooting new molds then taking the finished product out for a swimming lesson.  A few weeks ago I received a few new molds and nearly giggled out loud when I opened it up.  It was the 1.5 inch tweety  bird fro Jacobs baits.  It has bluegill samurai written all over it.  I shot some up in several colors and took them to a neighborhood pond for a quick test run.  It did not go quite as I had planned.  It seemed that as soon as the bird hit the water a dink bass would scoot over and slurp it up.  The short trip was cut even shorter by a storm so I left early.  The results of the maiden voyage was 11 bass and 2 bluegill.  Not what I expected but I still had high hopes for it.  So this morning it was clear and windy but warm so I went to the same pond.  Again the bass were eager to hit it but so were the gills.  7 really nice gills and 5 more bass were brought to hand by the bird.  I fished it on a 6.5 foot ultra light rod on a 1/32 oz jighead using the countdown method wit a slow retrieve and constant twitch.  This is a fun bait to fish and I will be surprised if it does not become one of my favorites.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
Re: Field testing
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/21 16:05 UTC »
That's a cool report and it sounds like a great first run with the new bait.  I looked up the bait out of curiosity,  looks like a great bait. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 12/17/21 11:36 UTC »
That Tweety looks like an interesting bait but I'm not a fan of the bigger body. I can see why the bass like them.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 12/17/21 15:37 UTC »
That Tweety looks like an interesting bait but I'm not a fan of the bigger body. I can see why the bass like them.
Its not to bad.  I rigged it on a 1/32 oz jig head with a #6 hook and it worked fine.  I did bend the hook point outward a little to get it out of the way of the hook eye though but I do that with most of my non sickle hooks.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.