Rattles
« on: 01/07/22 23:30 UTC »
Has anyone come up with a method to insert rattles during pouring of baits

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Rattles
« Reply #1 on: 01/08/22 09:01 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums!

Whenever I have wanted to use a rattle I just heated up a nail slightly smaller in diameter than the insert and carefully pushed it into the plastic, then slipped the rattle in with a drop of super glue on it.

Again, welcome aboard!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/08/22 16:57 UTC »
  I guess the first step is what baits are you pouring for what type of fishing.

Offline Yawk

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/22 17:03 UTC »
Pouring 4 inch MAD Craws

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/08/22 18:51 UTC »
Hey Yawk, Welcome... 

As for your question, the difficulty of what you want to do is greater than you may think, at least for most baits.  You will be far better off putting rattles in after injecting (especially for consistency), whether piercing a hole with a nail as ctom suggests (for smaller rattles) or coring with a small tube/needle (for bigger rattles).

If you are bent on trying insert rattles while injecting, the craw mold might be one of the best molds because of the matching appendages, BUT your rattles will have to span the body cross-wise to be held in the middle of the cavity... and of course the legs or claws may not fill in correctly because of the rattles could block the flow plastisol during injection. 

The one way around this would be to buy matching craw and claw molds from Do-it... first inject your rattles in the claws alone, then put these rattle claws in the mating body mold and inject that... this will give a nice product but it will be a labor/time intensive way to accomplish what you are looking for.

My recommendation would be to put them in after injection. 

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/09/22 11:01 UTC »
I just buy jig rattles in bulk that take the mickey mouse looking collars & use them. I install one rattle in a collar & slide on after going through head or tail when texas rigging U& just hang on jig hook after putting a trailer on. They come in 3 sizes & colors.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/10/22 07:52 UTC »
I use rattles a lot down here in the grass and I always just insert em in while I'm fishing. 

Offline Yawk

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 01/14/22 15:35 UTC »
Thanks all great forum