Author Topic: Makin bacon.... again.  (Read 136 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Makin bacon.... again.
« on: 01/12/22 14:17 UTC »
I found a couple nice bellies on sale so I had to pick them up. They've been resting with the cure and sugar for three days and just today saw the smoker. Here they are after the smoker was allowed to exhaust itself and cool down a bit. They'll rest now for a couple days in the tote, covered, then on to the slicer. Sure do smell good. These bellies are between 5-1/2 and 6 pounds each.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Makin bacon.... again.
« Reply #1 on: 01/13/22 07:26 UTC »
  My first wife's dad had a butcher shop with a smoke house out back. We would make our own bacon. We would inject it with about 1/2 the salt that most guys liked it. Myself I liked it better that way better. Today we go up to Cleveland to the West side market and there's a butcher there that makes it pretty close so we stock up when we can. People that just eat store bought bacon have no idea what they are missing.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/13/22 07:33 UTC »
No kidding.

Other than Morton's Tenderquick, there is no additional salt. I dry rub the bellies using 50% Tenderquick and 50% dark brown sugar.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/13/22 08:27 UTC »
I started making my own after I got a membership to Costco and could find pork belly for a decent price.  Never going back to store bought.  Unless its Conecuh brand.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/14/22 12:17 UTC »
11 packages of delightful.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/14/22 13:16 UTC »
Oh yea. 

Offline JRC1

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 13:11 »
those look pretty good how long on the smoker does it take

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 15:20 »
They're in a relatively cool smoke for about 4 hours. As mentioned, I let these rest after coming out of the smoker for at least two days in a covered tote. I cut each slab in half so the pieces are easier to handle on the slicer. I lay each of the four pieces on a cookie sheet and slide it in the freezer for about three hours to get the slabs set firm, but not frozen. This makes for better and easier slicing.

When the slabs are in the smoker I check to be sure that the fat isn't dripping. If it is, the smoker temp is too high.

Too many people smoke slabs until the bacon ends up tasting like you're chewing on a cigarette butt. I look for a slight yellowish tinge on the fat side of the meat and just a slight darkening of the meat itself. When I set the pieces back in the tote to mellow, I lay them fat side down and lay a sheet of butcher paper loosely over them, then cover the tote for two days and keep in a cool room or fridge. The smoke will work down and thru the meat during this stage and you'll end up with the most flavorful bacon you've ever eaten.

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 20:18 »
Ok sir.
Guess I'm gonna have to try an make bacon. :D
Just out of curiosity what brand of vacuum bags do you use?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 20:27 by MT204 »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 22:15 »
I use those found at our local Mernards Building Center. $14.99/box of 100 for pints and quart bags.