Author Topic: Epoxy Coated Spoons  (Read 14822 times)

Offline dfective1

• Minnow
Re: Epoxy Coated Spoons
« Reply #15 on: 07/11/14 12:20 UTC »
You do a super good work. I have been thinking about using powder paint or the tape on the bodies of the ZV Vibrating lure. I guess I would dip in seal coat; but I don't want to loose any action on the blade.
Ya I hear you on the action there is definitely a line that is drawn as far as what I coat with this stuff because of its consistency. Thinning it down and brushing it on worked okay for me. I even tested it on one of my chug bug style poppers I paint up. It's hard to tell in the picture, I coated the chartreuse head white pearl sparkle body popper.

So far it's the toughest coating I've put on them. Plus with the acetone it's a snap to clean up and reuse the brush and cup for multiple applications.
Thanks again for the compliments.
« Last Edit: 07/11/14 12:22 UTC by dfective1 »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 07/11/14 12:51 UTC »
I like that chartruse chug bug. Bet that's easy to see when the sun sets. Like the white body for the fish to see also.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 07/12/14 06:17 UTC »
I make a lot of vertical slab type jigs.
I always rig mine assist style and that helps a lot when vertical jigging them from getting snagged up and losing them. It also does great on hooking the fish.
Attach your line to the solid ring on top. So the hook is on the top.
I hang mine from a rack made from 1x2's with a piece of all thread going across near the top.
I hang the jigs from hooks on the racks and the threads of the all thread keep the jigs from sliding on the rack once I hang them.
I don't normally epoxy coat mine but use powder paint and a powder paint airbrush then a clearcoat of UV blast powder.
The eyes get a coating of D2T to hold them on.
« Last Edit: 07/12/14 06:30 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 07/12/14 07:09 UTC »
Super nice! I like that rack; excellent painting!

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 07/12/14 07:30 UTC »
Super nice! I like that rack; excellent painting!

One thing I found out about the rack was it is helpful to use manufactured hooks of some kind or be careful in making the hooks.
If the hooks are all exactly the same size the jigs will all swing the same and not touch if say somebody accidently bumps the rack while stuff is drying or while adding more jigs. Even if the jigs are different sizes they qwill swing the same.
I learned the hard way that hot powder paint will make jigs stick together and ruin a beautiful paint job.
I make heavy jigs so I used the sinker slide connectors and just bent them to fit my needs.
For smaller jigs I hear christmas ornament hooks work well and are dirt cheap right after christmas.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 07/12/14 07:32 UTC »
Open eye Siwash hooks work great. Open the eye up just a bit more ad grind the bark off and dull the point. 2/0 is a nice size.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #21 on: 07/12/14 08:18 UTC »
Here's a rack I made using the threaded rod for when I am painting my smaller jigs. The threaded rods on the outside are 1/4" coarse thread and a size 6 or smaller hook stays put inside the thread where its hung. The 5/16" rods above will handle hooks to 5/0 without fear of moving. I hang heads here for spraying as well as powder painting. The sticks laying there are my powder paint fluffers. I made this rack over 20 years ago and have painted probably close to a million heads and hung them here. If I want to cure heads, the whole rack goes right in the oven.

Sure helps to put the picture in the first time, eh? lol
« Last Edit: 07/12/14 12:00 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline dfective1

• Minnow
« Reply #22 on: 07/12/14 11:05 UTC »
I make a lot of vertical slab type jigs.
I always rig mine assist style and that helps a lot when vertical jigging them from getting snagged up and losing them. It also does great on hooking the fish.
Attach your line to the solid ring on top. So the hook is on the top.
I hang mine from a rack made from 1x2's with a piece of all thread going across near the top.
I hang the jigs from hooks on the racks and the threads of the all thread keep the jigs from sliding on the rack once I hang them.
I don't normally epoxy coat mine but use powder paint and a powder paint airbrush then a clearcoat of UV blast powder.
The eyes get a coating of D2T to hold them on.

Yeah those will work just fine, nice job.

Question, Is that a Do It mold that i can purchase with that spoon design and if so what model is it? And are you using a heat gun to shrink that tubing. I really like that assist style rigging. I'll more than likely make up a few like that and try them out. Thanks so much for sharing.. ;)

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 07/12/14 20:26 UTC »
Both Jigs pictured are from molds made by Shawn Collins Customs.
I have a Ryobi heat gun that is adjustable. I set it for 200*f-300*f range the use that to heat shrink the tubing.
I use 200# and 300# Kevlar assist line from western filament.
Here is a tutorial on how to tie the assist line. It is really simple. I tie the knot then add a drop of superglue then the heat shrink tubing.
I buy the heat shrink tubing on a small roll from the hardware store and cut the pieces to length.
http://youtu.be/8xwbEgxLsSw 

Offline dfective1

• Minnow
« Reply #24 on: 07/14/14 09:21 UTC »

Both Jigs pictured are from molds made by Shawn Collins Customs.
I have a Ryobi heat gun that is adjustable. I set it for 200*f-300*f range the use that to heat shrink the tubing.
I use 200# and 300# Kevlar assist line from western filament.
Here is a tutorial on how to tie the assist line. It is really simple. I tie the knot then add a drop of superglue then the heat shrink tubing.
I buy the heat shrink tubing on a small roll from the hardware store and cut the pieces to length.
http://youtu.be/8xwbEgxLsSw

Certain areas of the Sacramento river we have to use a single hook if we are using any non buoyant lure weighing over 1 oz.
The assist rigging finishes it off nicely. Once I get a few tied up I'll post up more pics. More importantly when I get fish on them, those pics will go up as well.
In the mean time this will have to hold us over Denny Lol.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #25 on: 07/14/14 09:54 UTC »
Way to go, d.  I'm leaving on vacation in a couple hours.  When I get back maybe we can get together for a cup of coffee.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Jerry V

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
    • Do-It Molds
« Reply #26 on: 07/14/14 10:48 UTC »
Wait a minute....  Vacation from WHAT??   ???
"What started as a hobby is now a way of life."  Justin9j

"It's a shame I have to work, cause I really don't have time for it." Shane

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste (or) losing your memory sucks."  Denny Welch

"I wonder what the fish feel like on those days when you can't buy a bite?" pjmc

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #27 on: 07/14/14 21:44 UTC »
Assist rigging is great on vertical slab type baits.
The single hook is less prone to snagging fish and less prone to getting hung up on the bottom.
It also is nice as your line is tied to the jig in such a way the fish cannot use the jig as leverage to get off.When fighting the fish the jig hangs vertically and is free swinging out of the way for the most part.
You must use a solid ring though as a split ring can abraid the line and cause it to wear. Particularly where the ends of the rings are.

Offline dfective1

• Minnow
« Reply #28 on: 07/15/14 14:24 UTC »

Assist rigging is great on vertical slab type baits.
The single hook is less prone to snagging fish and less prone to getting hung up on the bottom.
It also is nice as your line is tied to the jig in such a way the fish cannot use the jig as leverage to get off.When fighting the fish the jig hangs vertically and is free swinging out of the way for the most part.
You must use a solid ring though as a split ring can abraid the line and cause it to wear. Particularly where the ends of the rings are.

Yep I'm looking for a 3 or 4 mm ring it's proving to be very difficult.

Way to go, d.  I'm leaving on vacation in a couple hours.  When I get back maybe we can get together for a cup of coffee.

Have a good time and send me a pm when you get back.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #29 on: 07/16/14 10:54 UTC »

Yep I'm looking for a 3 or 4 mm ring it's proving to be very difficult.
Try EBAY.
I bought quite a few on there.
They are foreign made but I've never found a source of American made ones.
They aren't exactly cheap either. At least not like split rings.
If you really can't find any pm me your address and maybe we can work out a trade or something.