Author Topic: Happy with the way these came out...  (Read 19042 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Happy with the way these came out...
« Reply #30 on: 02/08/15 10:51 UTC »
Totally yet respectfully disagree 110% if one bass eats a blue gill out of a school of gill. Let's say 10 or 15 gills in the bunch why would he eat yours if it is a 100% match? The odds are not in your favor.
  Yet if yours is 75% realistic with something that catches the bass's eye he will target your bait Out of the 10 or 15 that look alike. It's basic prey vs predator instinct. To each the own that's what makes the world go round.

Nothing in nature is perfect and it seems those that are less than perfect become the dinner for many fish. Ice fish one winter day we had fish staring at crappie minnows hung in front of the fish's nose but no takers. One of us decided to slice off the bulk of a minnows tail membranes and put it back down. The results was instant. The camera showed the minnows with the full tail were far more active than the fish were willing to chase, but with the tail all but gone they'd try to fly but didn't get far. We also tried clipping the fins on one side of the minnow with a nail clipper and that was equally effective.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #31 on: 02/08/15 12:00 UTC »
I guess it's a good thing my bluegills don't swim exactly like a real bluegill, And real bluegills don't have hooks and split rings.  ;D Mine will stand out just fine.  ;D  I raised largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegill, and pike in many huge aquariums for years. Studying their eating habits and actions. Bass actually ate the wounded goldfish last... Not first like most think.  When the food was dumped in, they devoured any until they were stuffed.... Then as they ate, the wounded were the last left in the tank.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #32 on: 02/08/15 12:35 UTC »
In fact... A bass has a brain the size of a pea.. Please don't think they are too smart. It's simple just to catch them on a stupid shoelace.  :P

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #33 on: 02/08/15 13:59 UTC »
In my 106 years of lure making experience I still refuse to use a store bought lure including a shoe lace  :-*

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #34 on: 02/08/15 14:23 UTC »
That's made my day. Thanks guys. Lol

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #35 on: 02/08/15 14:35 UTC »
In my 106 years of lure making experience I still refuse to use a store bought lure including a shoe lace  :-*

Amen brother !

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #36 on: 02/08/15 14:51 UTC »
We ate in Chinatown while in Hawaii and I'm not all too sure that I didn't see something on that order come on a plate to us.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #37 on: 02/08/15 15:52 UTC »

You must be an old fart...  :o

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #38 on: 02/08/15 18:49 UTC »
A bass has a brain the size of a pea...  Please don't think they are too smart. 

Do you remember the baby nipple and cane pole rig that was somewhat of a craze for them years ago?

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #39 on: 02/08/15 20:02 UTC »

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #40 on: 02/08/15 20:32 UTC »
And it just keeps giving.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #41 on: 02/08/15 21:08 UTC »

I'll buy some store bought stuff occasionally so I can unabashedly copy it's color.  I'll only buy it when I can't steal it from my fishing buddy when he's not looking.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #42 on: 02/09/15 05:12 UTC »
  I'll only buy it when I can't steal it from my fishing buddy when he's not looking.

That's how I got the shoelaces.  :D

Offline Dfiene1

• Kicker
« Reply #43 on: 02/17/15 09:35 UTC »
I went to the Milwaukee musky expo and lurepartsonline had a booth with the winners of their homemade lure contest. I believe they also have them featured on their website. That would be a good source to compare. I would hate to be the judge of that contest.