Author Topic: Update in ct  (Read 3778 times)

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
Update in ct
« on: 05/26/11 18:32 UTC »
My last post about candle wood lake in Connecticut was a bit off. I hit the water today and the water temps were between 60 and 63 degrees. A lot of vacated beds, mostly smallies. The largemouth have just locked on their beds. Saw a 9-10 pounder with a male and fished for the big girl for 2 hours with nothing to show for it. Biggest bass I have ever seen on this lake. Though she was a carp. Spinnerbait was the ticket for the fish I did catch. A lot of 2 and 3 lb fish. One 4.5 lb.

Outside temp 80 deg
Water temp 60-63 deg
Water clarity 4-5 ft
Highland or hill land impoundment
« Last Edit: 08/06/11 15:18 UTC by Jason »

Offline Underdog

• Kicker
Re: Update in ct
« Reply #1 on: 05/26/11 19:20 UTC »
Nice report !!

I got to get out last nite to the nip in raynham ma. Water temps in some spots were 70 got one a spro frog and two on the lake fork lizard.

Offline nbarnych

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 05/26/11 19:24 UTC »
70 in mass already?? Wow! Small or big body of water? You ever fish in ct? You fish tournaments? Maybe we could hook up some time...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: 05/27/11 10:03 UTC »
Hi Nick,

Don't give up on her!!!  It took me 2 days for my PB.  I'll never forget catching the male, putting him back and then seeing him swim back to the bed where she joined him.  The male was a chunk, when she swam up and her head was at least 4x his I about passed out.  The best tip I can give you is to try and make yourself not part of their environment, and don't chunk stuff right on top of her.  Don't be afraid to go little, or trying a reaction strike.  If you get a chance try a 5" or 6" Skinny Carrot wacky rigged - no weight.  It will enter the water quietly and is very non-threatening.  I had a lot of fish pick it up just to move it off the bed.

Best of luck!!!

Jason