Author Topic: Black not dark enough?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline rambaits

• Minnow
Black not dark enough?
« on: 04/07/21 15:10 UTC »
I was making some injection swimbaits yesterday and decided I wanted some to be black with red flake. No matter how much black colorant (do it essential series black), I added it was just a transparent smoky color when what I was looking for was an opaque or at least semi opaque black that the red flake would contrast against. Could I use some white pearl powder to make the plastic opaque and then add the black or do I just need to use alot of black? I used twice as much colorant as i use with any of my other colors and I could hardly tell I added any. I just got into making soft plastics last spring so any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Black not dark enough?
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/21 15:16 UTC »
I am thinking that the black colorant needs to be mixed well. I don't think I've ever added much black colorant to achieve a solid opaque black. On the other hand, I've only tried DO-IT X2 black.

Offline rambaits

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/21 15:33 UTC »
I am thinking that the black colorant needs to be mixed well. I don't think I've ever added much black colorant to achieve a solid opaque black. On the other hand, I've only tried DO-IT X2 black.

Thanks, that  could be the problem. It had been sitting for a while and I did shake it but probably not enough.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 04/07/21 15:41 UTC »
I’ve never had bad not dark enough. They key thing is shacking colorant enough
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/07/21 16:03 UTC »
Take the cap off and use a small diameter rod like a piece of a metal coat hanger or a wooden skewer to mix the colorant on the bottom. Scrape around on the bottom to make sure there is no hard pack. Then put the cap back on and shake it again vigorously for about a minute.

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
« Reply #5 on: 04/07/21 16:50 UTC »
You can also try with powder black pigment: 3 "nails" are enough in 4 oz. to obtain a really deep dark opaque effect. Be careful when you re cook that plastic in microwave because black powder can scorch.
Bye.

Cami

Offline rambaits

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 04/07/21 17:34 UTC »
Thanks all, I just got done making a few more baits and just shaking more was not enough. Was able to get baits a little darker but not quite as dark as I'd like. I will try scraping the bottom and if that doesn't work I will get some black powder.

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 04/07/21 18:00 UTC »
 loosen the cap and microwave the black for 15 seconds,, not too long the bottle will sag , 
 I do a couple 15 second heats then shake.. more so in cold weather.
 Scraping the bottom my be needed.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/07/21 18:42 UTC »
Add more colorant

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 04/07/21 19:39 UTC »
i only have 1 essential series colorant (smoke purple) and wasnt a huge fan. i would get another black colorant, something along the lines of doit x2 or lureworks. some colorants (not sure with the essentials) are watered down more than others, the x2 and lureworks for sure arent. i have used both and both are good.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/07/21 21:44 UTC »
Essential Series colorants are not as strong as X2 colorants. I use Essential series black when I want a lighter smoke color. If I want an opaque black I use X2. How many drops are you putting in how much plastic?