Re: shiner
« Reply #1 on: 04/21/19 05:27 UTC »
That should do the job.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/21/19 06:12 UTC »
You posted before that you were leaning towards more natural colors. With this round, you have definitely reached your goal. Outstanding job Dobynstriton! The Swimbait Swami. The Paddletail Pundent.  :D

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/21/19 08:35 UTC »
Gorgeous work.  Looks like it needs to be moved to top shelf.

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #4 on: 04/21/19 14:57 UTC »
thanks guys!I appreciate it
KLK

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #5 on: 04/21/19 14:58 UTC »
You posted before that you were leaning towards more natural colors. With this round, you have definitely reached your goal. Outstanding job Dobynstriton! The Swimbait Swami. The Paddletail Pundent.  :D
Thanks! it still amazes me how much i can accomplish with very little colorant and still get a good representation
KLK

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/21/19 19:05 UTC »
No joke. It amazes me too. Gives me some good ideas to try. I bought some different hiltes to see what can be done.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/21/19 19:19 UTC »
You've done some super nice work of late Dob. I like the natural colors myself and try to get some realism in what I do with plastics too, especially walleye plastics. I'm really liking the air brushing as a component to the soft plastic too. Its amazing what an air brush will allow one to achieve.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #8 on: 04/21/19 19:28 UTC »
You've done some super nice work of late Dob. I like the natural colors myself and try to get some realism in what I do with plastics too, especially walleye plastics. I'm really liking the air brushing as a component to the soft plastic too. Its amazing what an air brush will allow one to achieve.
thanks buddy! the air brush in certain cases seems to really put a look to the bait that cant come out of a cup detail wise. vertical bars for example would be one of those things its subtle but looks ment to be there
KLK

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/21/19 19:56 UTC »
The air brush can be used with any medium for a stencil. I found a package of 4/0 steel wool in the garage that I forgot I had and they'll be my next "stencil" to get the mottled appearance like I have on my crappie baits. Just going to pull the steel wool apart a bit to get the randomness I want and have at it. I think it'll do great. Carole had a mess of 5" embroidery hoops she was going to toss and I snatched them up to use for holding scale netting and other trick things for making patterns

I have a black soft plastic shad body I cast in a Do-It lead mold that's been waiting for some air brush time and hopefully that will arrive later this week.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline DobynsTriton

• Lunker
  • KLK Plastics
« Reply #10 on: 04/21/19 20:15 UTC »
The air brush can be used with any medium for a stencil. I found a package of 4/0 steel wool in the garage that I forgot I had and they'll be my next "stencil" to get the mottled appearance like I have on my crappie baits. Just going to pull the steel wool apart a bit to get the randomness I want and have at it. I think it'll do great. Carole had a mess of 5" embroidery hoops she was going to toss and I snatched them up to use for holding scale netting and other trick things for making patterns

I have a black soft plastic shad body I cast in a Do-It lead mold that's been waiting for some air brush time and hopefully that will arrive later this week.
ill have to try something like that. i been using hair holder things women use to pin their hair for my bars. a comb is too tight together but the pins and tha gaps in it make it work best
KLK

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 04/21/19 20:30 UTC »
For the vertical bars I use combs. Some I take every other tooth out, some I leave as is. I have about a dozen of them/ You're working with much larger baits than I do so I'd imagine finding or altering something to fit your needs might get challenging. I think improvising to get your needs met is one of the most interesting aspects of air brushing, but I'm having a riot with creating colors that I use on these small crankbaits. Those small embroidery hoops are spot on handy. I'm a huge proponent of improvisation.

The smallest of these crankbaits at 7/10" are getting noticed by women who want me to make ear rings out of them for Pete's sake. One woman asked me to cut the bill and hook hangers off, then do the artsy stuff with the air brush. I won't say what she's willing to pay for a couple pairs of these but there maybe a new market in my future....lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/21/19 20:57 UTC »
I don't know if you'll find this helpful Dobs, but this is what I use to mottle the sides on the crappie and pumpkinseed cranks. Its a 4" embroidery hoop that has a piece of choreboy pot scrubber unrolled and cut off  sandwiched in it. The choreboy unrolled like this is actually a mesh tube. I've opened the tube up and inserted some florist's moss, then clamped the hoop closed. Where the paint is focused is where the body of the moss is found. I clamp a hook hangar on a crank in an old fly vice and lay the screen up against the side of the bait just as its seen here and shoot my color thru, then just turn the vice and repeat. Random, but near identical.

I have a bunch of these hoops with various other elements held ready for spraying. I'm not sure how you would apply this idea but its handier than heck for me.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/23/19 19:17 UTC »
thanks buddy! the air brush in certain cases seems to really put a look to the bait that cant come out of a cup detail wise.

You sort of beat me to the airbrush on soft plastic. I've been held up a bit of late and finally got to play with some paint on plastic. Many have seen the bold look that color shifting pigments give black plastic when brushed on as a dry pigment. Here's an example of the real beauty that color shifting pearls can add to a soft plastic when applied over a solid black in a clear top coat. The color of pigment used here is Delta, one that Kyle knows quite a bit about. Its a simple two color shift from blue to purple with the purple being the hardest color to capture. Just a few minutes ago the sunlight was just right and the purple jumped right out of these. I think you can get an idea here of how nice this stuff can be and how much it can change the outcome of a bait when its applied as I have here with the airbrush.

Self adhesive backed eyes will NOT stick to the acrylic applied over the soft plastic unless they're glued as well. I have no idea what the difference is as I apply them over the same acrylic on hard baits with not issues at all and on plain soft plastic with no issues. Not so on these baits but I think it may be the stickum on the eyes here.

Some day when I have some extra hands I'll get a video done of this stuff shifting colors after being applied with the airbrush. Its uncanny and as Dobs has alluded to the application can create such subtle beauty its just hard to imagine that the baits are in fact hand made.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #14 on: 04/23/19 23:22 UTC »
Very nice Tom