Author Topic: Boat Question: Center Console vs. Side Console  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Boat Question: Center Console vs. Side Console
« on: 07/13/20 22:23 UTC »
Hello all,
I sold my old boat when I moved, and I am looking into some other options to replace it. Does anyone on here have any experience with center console all welded aluminum boats? Something from 16' to 18' in length. I am leaning towards a center console, but have never fished out of one, nor ridden in one. Just needing some feedback from those who have. Advantages and disadvantages (pros and cons). Thanks guys!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Boat Question: Center Console vs. Side Console
« Reply #1 on: 07/14/20 03:18 UTC »

Lines

Haven’t fished out of on but the ability to walk All the way around and fight big Fish Like bull reds or musky and pike it great to be able to move freely. But remember the older you get the raised casting platforms are hard on your balance at least it is for me. Bass pro have a selection of them.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 07/14/20 03:54 UTC »
https://xpressboats.com/xpress-boats/

There are a lot of makers and price ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/14/20 06:22 UTC »
  I guess it's all how you fish. I'm fishing out of an aluminum Ranger RT188 and love it. I would recommend that what ever you buy that you max the horse power. I see a lot of guys buy a nice boat with smaller engine and then not like the performance of it. I have the Mercury 115 four stroke and it is the sweetest motor I've ever owned. Zero hole shot, very quiet and easy on fuel. You'll love the new motors. The last thing I would recommend is to buy it from a dealer near you. In other words don't buy a boat that you have to drive two plus hour to get it fixed. It a pain. Like me on a Yamaha. It's a great motor but you couldn't give me one. The nearest dealer from me is over two hours away. No matter what the price, who wants it.
« Last Edit: 07/14/20 16:54 UTC by Lamar »

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/20 13:27 UTC »
Hey I'll threw on more in the mix, tiller steer.
My son and I will be buying a new boat in the next year or two and we have decide to go tiller this time around.
Possibly a Lund ProGuide tiller model.
« Last Edit: 07/14/20 13:30 UTC by MT204 »

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/14/20 16:56 UTC »
Hey I'll threw on more in the mix, tiller steer.
My son and I will be buying a new boat in the next year or two and we have decide to go tiller this time around.
Possibly a Lund ProGuide tiller model.

Nothing wrong with that either. Taking your son out fishing is awesome.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 07/14/20 19:01 UTC »
If you motor through shallow water a center console is a good option. That is why they are popular with flats fisherman. Same thing to some extent with a tiller.

If you have a bum shoulder like me, I went to a right console with steering wheel vs tiller for the long runs.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/14/20 19:28 UTC »
I have always owned boats with tiller steer. Some of the boats needed weight added to the front of the boat to balance it better when fishing alone. Just weighing some different options. This might be the last boat I am able to buy. I think I will go to the dealer and see if maybe I can get a ride on a center console boat. I might not like it at all.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 07/15/20 08:25 UTC »
I always liked the regular side console style but being on the coast I have fished from a lot of center consoles. I would try both and see what you like. All my inshore fishing buddy's prefer the center console.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 07/15/20 08:38 UTC »
An acquaintance of mine has a center console model but he fishes primarily lake trout and salmon by trolling. He's mentioned that for lake fishing walleyes or crappies while casting the console gets to be a pain but for the big water and significantly larger fish the console in the center allows him to follow the fish when hooked, no stepping around this or over that. On the overall he prefers the center console and several times a year runs out the 26 miles to Isle Royale on Lake Superior and says the stability with things centered around the console make the trip safe and enjoyable in seas to four feet. I've fished from a couple center consoles and they are nice and have always been really stable. In the end though I'd do what others are suggesting and do some searching, maybe ask for a ride on a couple, to determine whether the CC is your bag or not.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline CrappieCat

• Keeper
« Reply #10 on: 07/15/20 16:25 UTC »
I love my Skeeter WX 1880 but they have gotten a little pricey
since 2009

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 07/15/20 21:54 UTC »
Thanks guys. I'll have to go look at the center consoles soon. Sounds like a lot of fisherman prefer them. May have to replace my old boat with another tiller steer model if I don't like them.