Author Topic: All my colors are yellowing  (Read 2275 times)

Offline mikesjet

• Yearling
All my colors are yellowing
« on: 05/24/15 20:36 UTC »
I have the remainder of 2.5gal of caney soft.  Approximately 1.5qt left, I haven't been making baits for a few months, and when I started again, I have yellowing.

I tried microwave and figured I was scorching it, so this is the process I used.
1. 4oz plastic with my color and 6 drops of heat stabilizer
2. Heat 30sec at a time and stirring in between.
3. Check temp with the thermometer that is sold here, except I got mine 3 years ago on recommendation on here.
4. Stop nuking at 340deg
5.  Continue to stir and watch temp, shoot at 350deg.
6.  I can see the plastic yellowing while shooting.

I haven't had this issue in the past, and I am wondering if I wasn't keeping my plastisol in suspension as I should have and I am left with additives and little plastisol.  Is this possible?

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: All my colors are yellowing
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/15 20:58 UTC »
Unfortunately once you jack your formula you will have issue. You need to mix your plastic every time you use it. I mix my big box up really well and then dispense into pints which makes it a lot easier to mix each time I make a few baits.

Since you have a lot left, you could try adding heat stabilizer. I don't have a clue on how much.

Your other choice is to only make dark baits with that plastic. Not a problem for me since I like to fish black and watermelon/brn baits.

Andy
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline mikesjet

• Yearling
« Reply #2 on: 05/24/15 23:07 UTC »
I knew that this newbie mistake of not ensuring my plastic was mixed would come back to haunt me :o.  I have tried to add stabilizer up to enough to make the baits greasy and it hasn't helped.  I guess I will chalk it up to lesson learned, finish it with dark baits and get new.

Thank you,
Mike

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/25/15 07:50 UTC »
I'd shake the daylight savings out of the plastic, let it sit for a couple hours and resh are the heck out of it. I'd do this maybe five or six times in a day and I'd hold the box so the part that was down in storage was now at the top while shaking.

At 4 ounces, you could double the amount of stabilizer.

Something on your temperature reading.....you cannot read a temp with the probe touching any portion of the cooking cup or whatever you are using. The probes point should be held in the center mass of the plastic away from the bottom or sides of the cup. With yellowing issues after the plastic has been shook to death, heat according to your noted times, then read that plastic BEFORE you stir it and from the center of the plastic mass. I'm betting on a hot spot in there that gets lost in stirring. If you have a spot of very high temp, try cutting a corrugated cardboard liner the size of the glass rotisserie tray in your microwave and leave it in there when you cook. This will help dissipate  hotspots uniques to your microwave. I use the cardboard and also have a sheet to paper towel down for spills. The assumption with thermometers is to stir then check the temp. Often we need to check the temp first so thatroblems don't just get mixed in and covered up. Yellowing is generally a heating or in-box mixing thing.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline mikesjet

• Yearling
« Reply #4 on: 05/25/15 15:37 UTC »
I usually use the temp probe to mix it, I will try the "shake the heck out of it" and check the temp before stirring.

Thanks,
Mike