Author Topic: Yamamoto Senko  (Read 1436 times)

Offline BOhrt

• Minnow
Yamamoto Senko
« on: 02/25/21 17:17 UTC »
Hello! new to this forum and have heard a lot of good things. My son just recently ordered the senko mold and is looking for the Yamamoto recipe. He fishing religiously with this type of worm rigged wacky! Any help would be great! BTW we live in WI and recently took a trip to south FLA. We are ready for open water fishing again!!

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Yamamoto Senko
« Reply #1 on: 02/25/21 17:50 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums BOhrt!

The Senko molds are some of the best sellers here. You may want to invest in some of the HD compound used in lieu of salt to weight the Senko baits to near identical weights of the factory baits. The compound added will result a tougher bait meaning more fish per bait but they'll in fact be slightly softer.

Other here who have more field experience with the compound and how much to use will likely hop on board here so hang tight for more good info.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/26/21 04:47 UTC »
Hello! new to this forum and have heard a lot of good things. My son just recently ordered the senko mold and is looking for the Yamamoto recipe. He fishing religiously with this type of worm rigged wacky! Any help would be great! BTW we live in WI and recently took a trip to south FLA. We are ready for open water fishing again!!

Plastisols do differ some ,
 Here is a good starting point .
   4 oz. Medium Plastisol
   3 table spoons salt 
   1.5 table spoons softner

you also will have to add more drops of color ( dye ,, pigment ) the added salt will kinda whiten or lighten the color of the bait so more color is needed to get you on spot .
  and the baits will not be as transparent with added salt .
   make a few, let um cure for a week or 2  to get the firmness to settle in then change it up as needed.
   good luck

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/26/21 06:07 UTC »
Welcome to custombaits.com BOhrt.
Wishing you and your son some great success.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/26/21 06:16 UTC »
  If you want to make senkos with the same rate of fall as the Yamamoto ones have then the formula is 1 TBL spoon salt ( or I use glass media ) to 4oz of plastic. I like to use glass media because it makes the bait tougher and doesn't change the color. As far as colors if I was heading to Lake Winnebago or Green Bay I'd have 10 dozen of watermelon brown with black flake. They will eat that up.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/26/21 07:27 UTC »
Everybody does things different but I don't use any salt or media. I like the weighted wacky rig hooks.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/26/21 13:54 UTC »
Everybody does things different but I don't use any salt or media. I like the weighted wacky rig hooks.

Weighted (or weightless) hooks are my method as well... that way I have no problem with mixing remelts.

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 02/26/21 15:35 UTC »
  If you want to make senkos with the same rate of fall as the Yamamoto ones have then the formula is 1 TBL spoon salt ( or I use glass media ) to 4oz of plastic. I like to use glass media because it makes the bait tougher and doesn't change the color. As far as colors if I was heading to Lake Winnebago or Green Bay I'd have 10 dozen of watermelon brown with black flake. They will eat that up.

Are you using sinking plastic ??
 I can not even get close with only 2 table spoons salt per cup  ?
 table spoons level or heaping ?

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 02/26/21 15:40 UTC »
Weighted (or weightless) hooks are my method as well... that way I have no problem with mixing remelts.

I do keep marked containers for remelts ( all plastic left over from every batch )
 I have a container for every color.
 Also I keep salted and unsalted colors separate.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/26/21 16:11 UTC »
Are you using sinking plastic ??
 I can not even get close with only 2 table spoons salt per cup  ?
 table spoons level or heaping ?

Nope just the ES plastic. Three table spoons is a lot in 4oz. We're not talking teaspoons here that's way smaller

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #10 on: 02/27/21 06:25 UTC »
Nope just the ES plastic. Three table spoons is a lot in 4oz. We're not talking teaspoons here that's way smaller

Yes, 3 table spoons is a lot in 4 oz, ( 6 level Table spoons per 8 oz cup ) they come out tender just like Yamamoto ..
 I would call it Heavy salted.
  1- 2 fish per bait .. I do not like going through that many baits but some guys do not mind .
  and weight - on a gram scale rite at about 11 grams  ( yamamoto are 10.5-11 )
 For my self I use 2 table spoons per 4 oz they are a lot tougher, but still kinda heavy  - but I also use a 1/16 oz bullet sinker with that.
  The blasting media mite be heavier than salt ??  never used it .

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/04/21 04:06 UTC »

BOhrt
  What have you come up with on the Senko ?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/04/21 08:04 UTC »
Some of the Yamamoto senkos have different weights from color to color but I would say the majority of them weigh somewhere between 9-11 grams when placed on a digital scale.  For me, I use one to one and 1/4 tablespoons of glass bead media in a 1/2 cup of plastic with 3/4 tablespoon of softener.  This has resulted in soft, supple baits with great clarity in the plastic and that subtle wiggle the fish just can't stand. 

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 03/04/21 15:47 UTC »
Some of the Yamamoto senkos have different weights from color to color but I would say the majority of them weigh somewhere between 9-11 grams when placed on a digital scale.  For me, I use one to one and 1/4 tablespoons of glass bead media in a 1/2 cup of plastic with 3/4 tablespoon of softener.  This has resulted in soft, supple baits with great clarity in the plastic and that subtle wiggle the fish just can't stand. 

Does the glass bead weigh more than salt.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 03/05/21 05:49 UTC »
Does the glass bead weigh more than salt.

No same weight