Author Topic: Substitute Hooks for Jig Mold  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Vern5384

• Minnow
Substitute Hooks for Jig Mold
« on: 09/11/21 15:55 UTC »
Is mold modification usually required to substitute a Gamakatsu heavy wire jig hook for the recommended Eagle Claw 630 jig hook.  I have a large sizes chub jig mold, and while the shanks of the Gamakatsu hooks seem to fit, the eye of the hooks don't fit over the posts in the mold.

If modification is required, any tips on how to do it?  Also, is there a chart with alternative hook options for different molds?

DS

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
Re: Substitute Hooks for Jig Mold
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/21 18:28 UTC »
Many charts for hooks and molds on Barlows Tackle... But I'm not sure about for the mold you are asking about. You can drill out the post deep, and fill with red RTV high temp silicone and the should work on your hooks without flash.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #2 on: 09/12/21 13:57 UTC »
Yep, even though hook wire diameters can be close, so they'll fit in a mold, the hook eye diameter can be a lot different. I've modified a lot of my molds, and some only needed the area for the hook eye to be enlarged. As 21xdc said, high temp silicone is your friend. I buy some that is made by Permatex at an auto parts store, that's good up to around 700 degree's of intermittent temps, and that works very well.

Not all high temp silicone is the same, so read the labels to find those with ratings for temps that work well with molten lead.  600 to 700 degrees.

Offline Vern5384

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 09/12/21 20:40 UTC »
Thanks, y'all.