Author Topic: Spraying box  (Read 343 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Spraying box
« on: 02/25/24 09:29 UTC »
I've had it with having to sweep the shop every time I fire up the powder paint sprayer. I've tried a couple containment ideas but for naught. I'm building a box with 1/4" plywood sides, and back that has a cut-out for air flow from a small [18-20"] box fan that will also be enclosed except for the top so it can be lifted out for cleaning. I'll glue in strips of 1X at the inside corners for extra gluing surface. Keeping it fairly portable will be of necessity, hence the thin plywood.

My thinking is if ai use two or maybe even three filters stacked tightly together any fines from spraying powder paint can be caught and when using a traditional air brush any over-spray will also get snatched up as the fan draws air thru the box.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
Re: Spraying box
« Reply #1 on: 02/25/24 15:10 UTC »
Same thoughts just never got around to it. I did make an airbrush box that I thought might double for powder. The fan used I scavenge out of a fridge that broke. A little sketchy wiring but it works like a dream. For the filter I designed the box to fit filters used in our office building since they change them frequently and I can get the old ones.  I had plans of putting a removable tray in the bottom that slightly tapered to the center and a plug or a small door. Maybe help reclaim some wayward powder. Then just remove the tray when airbrush painting.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/26/24 06:01 UTC »
 I just spray in a cardboard box. It's nothing fancy but catches most of it.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #3 on: 02/26/24 08:26 UTC »
Interesting topic!   I stick with dipping powder coat using my fluid bed, except for a second, top color, and that I do with a gravity method & fiberglass screen.

I should learn how to use the air brushes I have, and a box might be worthwhile for that. I had bought a cheap one years ago & have never used it, and my mother gave me a better one she had when she did ceramics. About the only thing I would likely use them for it adding scale patterns to fly rod poppers.

I make enough mess sometimes with the powder, not to want to be spraying it, and I don't paint enough at a time that need to use spray equipment.  ::)

I spilled some bright pink powder one time several years ago, and am still finding traces of it!  :P