Author Topic: Is no one fishing?  (Read 10769 times)

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Is no one fishing?
« on: 11/01/11 10:45 UTC »
I can't believe that no one is catching any fish; or at least trying.
I have a good "excuse" because my wife has had spinal surgery; but; with all of  CCM's great molds and the talent exhibited by members of the board; someone has to have a story to tell.
I hope to post something; even if it is a catfish; within the next week as "The Boss" is doing better and is sick of looking at me.

« Last Edit: 11/01/11 10:51 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline BassDetective

• Lunker
Re: Is no one fishing?
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/11 11:08 UTC »
I have been fishing a couple local ponds but it has been tough.  These ponds are getting slammed with local anglers.  They are located in a major suburban area so they suffer from fishing pressure and over-harvesting.  I live close to Clear Lake which is the best big bass factory in the west but it is still a couple of hours away.  Kids have been in sports til last weekend so it is hard to get away even for day.  That's my excuse  :o.

Going soon - maybe this weekend. I am watching the weather so I can try to time it right.  I am certain to have some pictures.  Although, with the clear water I suspect the bite is going to be on rip baits, rattle traps and some night time swimbait fish.  Soft plastics don't play as well in the fall on Clearlake.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: 11/01/11 11:27 UTC »
Ive been fishing.  With the lake down and hunting the pressure hasn't been bad.  The bite has been pretty good.

Jason

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/01/11 11:46 UTC »
I've been fishing....almost every day!

Last weekend was very good for largemouth on the upper Mississippi River. Saturday I landed 4 that were over 4lbs (sorry to say that's a really good one here!). I caught a lot of smaller 14" or so bass...mostly on the baby berry and MadDad XL.  I've been using the baby berry on a swim jig...makes for a great, slow fall. I like a black baby berry on a black/blue swim jig.  Watermelon/red flake on a green "bluegill" swim bait. The problem is that the Northern Pike like 'em too....and after I got bit off a few times...I had to go to a wire leader which I think affects the bass bite. (they can cut  PowerPro like a razor blade!)

Northern Pike fishing is now really picking up with the water temps in the 40's. I've been fly fishing for Northerns and Sunday was really good for small ones (24" or so)....only landing one over 30". I'm looking for a 40"er!! I think I had one one...but I didn't get the hooks into her (they like to bit baits sidewards). I'm planning on taking a bunch of advil (for my shoulder!) and hitting them hard on Saturday when it's forecast to "warm up" to 50. Sunday looks kind of grim..with snow showers, so I'll probably launch by dam 5A and walleye fish until I freeze up. I made up a bunch of CC Gliders with skirts....I'm hoping they will be magic.

Duck hunting is going full blast here...so I pretty much have the fishing to myself, but the duck hunters like to set up on the same points that I like to fish. Since they have guns...they get the spot!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/01/11 12:28 UTC »
Pictures, Let's see pictures.   :D   ( My Wife says I am a "pot stirrer" ).  I am glad that some have been fishing.  I felt Andrew had been fishing, but he was getting tired of being one of the few that posted pictures.   Now that I have run my mouth; I guess I better get my ducks in a row; Huh? 

Offline firetiger

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 11/01/11 16:01 UTC »
I fished a tournament on Falcon Lake this past weekend.  We could only muster 4's and 5's.  That's not going to get it done on that lake.  I caught my fish on the 4" chub grub.  I was dragging it on rocky points and those fish would BLAST that thing.  Our 2 day total was 30 lbs, waaaaay out of the money.  1st 49.65 lbs, 2nd 41.64 lbs, 3rd 40.61.  Big bass was a beautiful 12.10 lbs.  Oh yeah, it was a 3 fish limit each day!

I'm looking forward to Amistad this weekend!

Offline jeffhill

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 11/02/11 14:02 UTC »
I think we are going to fish a tournament on Truman this weekend. I will give y'all an update if we do.
Jeff

Offline lajo1976

• Minnow
    • Z-bait
« Reply #7 on: 11/09/11 05:21 UTC »
Have been out a couple of times the last two weeks with good result. 5 zanders between 10-14 punds.
All caught on 6-7" Carrots

This one of them.

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/09/11 06:37 UTC »
lajo1976  -  Nice fish.
Those are a really cool looking fish.  Like a spray painted cross between a Walleye and a Bass.  With that wide tail; it looks like it is capable of putting up a good fight?

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 11/09/11 07:10 UTC »
Added another picture of "the fish of the day" for Nov. 8th. in the Gallery.  The flatheads are still hanging around the buffet line. 

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: 11/09/11 08:14 UTC »
Beautiful fish!

Offline bassin85

• Yearling
« Reply #11 on: 11/09/11 17:39 UTC »
I havnt been doing much fishing recently, my focus has been on chasing those elusive whitetailed deer.  But after the next 2 weeks I will be ready to head back to Lake of the Ozarks and start chasing those bass again.  If I happen to shoot a nice one this weekend maybe Jason will allow me to post a picture of it...even though it has nothing to do with fishing.
« Last Edit: 11/09/11 17:43 UTC by bassin85 »

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/09/11 18:21 UTC »
Deer tenderloin, fried catfish, bream, okra, hushpuppies. Maybe some slaw and sliced tomatoes.  I am trying to make Jason drool on the keyboard.  :D --  Peach Cobbler and hand churned Ice cream for desert?
That ought to do it.  
« Last Edit: 11/09/11 18:25 UTC by pjmcla »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: 11/10/11 10:19 UTC »
You really had me with the tomato...

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: 11/21/11 09:27 UTC »
Went fishing Friday and it was pretty slow.  We picked up 5 fish, the biggest being around 4 pounds.  We figured out a little late that they were being positioned in a big way by the wind and were super shallow for this time of year.  They also wanted the bait to be moving really fast (they were wearing their track shoes).  It finally dawned on me that this is what was happening when Chris was burning his worm in to make another cast and the wake of a fish formed behind it.  The best I can remember we caught them on the SB, Toad, and C-Tail worm.

Saturday was a little more of the same except the Croaker got in on the action.  We finally found the fish we were looking for on the 4.5" Toad.  I was swimming it in a swim, then fall retrieve and about 15' from us it got whacked.  All we could see was a pretty big flash of white.  When I set the hook my line immediately broke.  I really don't think it was a Bowfin, but I'm telling myself that's all it was.   :(

Here's a pic of a nice Chunk, caught on a C-Tail worm (Grape Ape):

Anyone else have a chance to wet a line?

Jason  
« Last Edit: 11/21/11 09:46 UTC by Jason »