Author Topic: A wild 1 1/2 hours.....  (Read 1864 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
A wild 1 1/2 hours.....
« on: 10/22/20 12:17 UTC »
A buddy and I hit a Mississippi backwater this morning trying to sneak in ahead of a big storm system and it worked. We were targeting crappies and for an hour and a half it was game on featuring crappies in the 12"-13" range on darned near every cast. It was a balmy 28 degrees when we started casting in heavy overcast at about 7 am. Still darned near dark. The bite started about 10 minutes later with a healthy 13 1/2" male black on my line. Between us we landed right about 50 fish before the weather cut loose with lightning, thunder and radical straight down rain then rain at 90 degrees when the wind kicked in.

The water temps have dropped down into the mid-40s and the sunfish have now vacated the area and are headed to wintering spots but the big crappies are pouring in off the main river channel now and the bite has been steadily getting better. Today was just crazy until the weather set in, then the bite simply came to a crashing halt.

We each kept five fish for dinner tonight and there'll be enough left over for a fish sandwich tomorrow at noon. Bites like this can spoil a person.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: A wild 1 1/2 hours.....
« Reply #1 on: 10/23/20 16:52 UTC »
Glad you and your buddy got on the water and got into them before the wealthier turned.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/26/20 07:36 UTC »
Good deal.  ;)

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/28/20 11:29 UTC »
Just about the same bite happened this morning except the bite window was narrower, ending right at around 8:30 this morning. Beautiful morning to fish with little to no wind and the grass and crap have cleared off the water finally. After the last trip we had two rounds of snow and very cool temps. I thought maybe the snow and cold dropped the water temps enough to move the crappies to their wintering holes but they were still hot to trot this morning. I brought home five fish for a fry tonight but could have gotten by with three really. Oh well, Carole makes a dandy fish sandwich so they won't go to waste.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 10/28/20 13:19 UTC »
TOM glad that you got a chance to get out and they were willing to play. Only had one round of the white stuff same here mid 20’s over night.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/30/20 11:26 UTC »
Back at it this morning again and found the same scenario as on Weds. Lots of fish this morning with a few more smaller fish showing up. Same color preference today again. I tried a bunch of other colors but the junebug/chartreuse tail was it. I fished the Rad Tad today and did pretty well with it, but the Thump-Its were a clear kingpin bait.

We're supposed to see a nice warm-up next week so maybe this current pattern will hold on a while longer. Sure been fun fishing.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 10/31/20 06:56 UTC »
Get all the day fishing open water you can maybe the winter won’t seem so long than HA HA
Glad your getting meals along the way and yes the thump it is a hard bait to bet.