Author Topic: One last fishin' trip in the boat for 2012  (Read 3575 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
One last fishin' trip in the boat for 2012
« on: 11/21/12 19:51 UTC »
Probably got in the last day in the boat for this year today. It was 63 degrees the day before Thanksgiving...in Minnesota!!! I HAD to take the day off and go fishing! Plus the Mrs. works until 9pm...so....

Did pretty good on Crappies on the 1.75" Fry over a Nano on the drop shot. The big bluegills really liked the Nano...and I had the 1.75" about 3' above the Nano for the suspended crappies. Caught a fair number of bass also! Water temp was an astounding 42 degrees....In November! Crazy!

The highlight of the day was fishing Black/blue flake  HD Additive "Trout Worms"...wacky ...with just a circle hook. The small bass were all over it.....and a few really big bluegills! The largest bass was a tad under 3lbs...but I was using my Ultralight rod...so that was a blast! I'm not sure how many bass I caught today...but at least two dozen on the "Trout"...worm. My biggest crappie was on the "Trout" worm also.

That little worm just screams "eat me"! And with the HD additive the package looks really nice with just a small circle hook. I also fished some other colors I had (red/red flake and cinnamon/black) on a small crappie jig with the worm rigged wacky and it did well also...but I'm really partial to my HD baits now!

Might get out on Thanksgiving...but the forecast is for winds from the SW at 15 with gusts to 35...so maybe I'll just do yard work! The forecast for Friday is a high of 30...and a low of 17...which probably means the "hard water period" is just around the corner!

Oh yeah...Denny: Don't use FR thermometers for liquid plastic! I've ranted enough on that subject (search: thermometer).

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving. We had our family Thanksgiving last weekend up in the Twin Cities (Mnpls-St. Paul)...so I'm free to fish.... weather permitting on Thanksgiving.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
Re: One last fishin' trip in the boat for 2012
« Reply #1 on: 11/21/12 21:24 UTC »
Thanks for the report.  Glad to see you caught fish in several different ways.
our fish here are just starting to move to their cold weather patterns.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #2 on: 11/21/12 21:48 UTC »
Good report, Andy.  I'm looking forward to my annual Black Friday jumbo minnow fishing trip to Clear Lake. Just three old guys sitting in a boat telling lies and making up stories about our other friends who aren't there to defend themselves.  Oh yeah, we get interrupted every now and then with a nice 3 or 4 pound largemouth.  Just one of life's little pleasures.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline t-billy

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/24/12 17:42 UTC »
 Glad to hear you did well Andy. I had a little jumbo minnow trip myself on Black Friday Denny. It was in the 40s and raining sideways off and on so I had to fly solo. My goofy buddies will deer hunt in that kind of weather but, they won't fish in it. Silly guys. It was probably the last trip in the big boat for 2012. They're drawing the lakes down for winter. I probably won't be able to launch it in another week. Time to switch to the 12 footer till iceover. It will be awhile before we see ice in Ohio. Water was still 47 yesterday. That's about 10 degrees above normal for this time of year. I ended up with 13 little saugeye between 10"and 14" and fed a bunch more of the chub stealing little buggers.. No keepers but it was a fun day.
A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #4 on: 11/24/12 19:43 UTC »
We had a great day on Clear Lake yesterday and the fishing wasn't bad either.  We got to Limit Out Tackle early and bought four dozen minnows.  They threw in a few dozen small minnows at no charge just to get them out of their tank.  We went through all but six or seven of them.

I started things off with a 4.5 largemouth and that was pretty typical throughout the day. We had pretty close to twenty bass with the biggest at not quite 6 pounds and the smallest at just over 3.  We also caught three catfish...12, 14, and 15 or thereabouts.

Sturmer's not quite 85, I'm 66 and Larry's somewhere in between.  In all candor, I'm quite a bit better looking than either of them and I still have that youthful devil may care attitude about things.  They don't, which brings me to the point.

Larry caught two of the catfish and Sturmer one.  I don't pretend to be an expert on catfish, but I remember seeing a couple TV shows about "noodleing" for catfish.  That's where you stick your hand into the fishes mouth.  Therefore, I didn't see any risk in sticking my fingers into the fishes mouth  so I could hold it for pictures.  Big mistake.  That sucker bit down on my fingers so hard I thought he was going to tear them off at the knuckles.  I was screaming and running around the boat like a scared little girl.  That catfish didn't let go for what seemed like hours...probably about 10 seconds.  My fingers were a bloody mess, blood is dripping all over the carpet and windshield and the catfish is belly flopping all over the deck.  My good friends, Sturmer and Larry, who I thought would help me find my severed fingers, were too busy with hysterical  laughter to be of any use at all.  I'm sure they both peed their pants which Sturmer probably does anyhow because he's 84 years old.  Larry probably does too just because he likes the way it feels.

It was a 2 1/2 hour drive home and those guys were yuckin' it up and high fivin' each other the whole way.  I couldn't wait to drop them off.  TPO called (still shopping) and asked how the day went.  I told her I got bit by a fish.  There was silence for a moment and the same hysterical laughter.  Some days you can't win.   

The Black Friday Giant Minnow Fishing Trip On Clear Lake is one of my favorite trips of the year.  I don't know how much longer we'll be doing it, but I hope it goes on for many more years.  Larry and I told Sturmer that if he has a stroke or something we'll carry him onto the boat and strap him into the back seat. Sturmer said that was OK, but to make sure we tied a towel around his neck if he was drooling.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline t-billy

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 11/24/12 20:46 UTC »
LOL. Great story Denny. Sounds like you fellas had a ball. That's what it's all about. When you can catch a pile of nice fish while your at it, well....That's having your cake and eating it too. I wish you guys many more happy Black Fridays.
A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/24/12 21:03 UTC »
Super story....but...you were a bit of a baby on the catfish thing....Had it been a Northern Pike...or a Dog Fish...I could see it..but a pussy cat fish???

Your story reminds me of the books by Pat McManus....funny...but a little too close to home! At least you didn't have to use a jaw spreader to get the darn thing off your hand.

Just go to the Doctor and get your tetanus shots on Monday....if it's not too late.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: 11/24/12 21:45 UTC »
That is to funny. I can see all of that happening just as if I was there to, and yes, I to am laughing. Thanks for the great story. I'm glad you had a great day.

Jason