Author Topic: Getting ready for the "Great Lake"....Superior  (Read 1532 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Getting ready for the "Great Lake"....Superior
« on: 03/09/20 16:50 UTC »
Ma told me this morning a trip to Two Harbors was right on the doorstep so I hustled down to the shop and did some spraying.

The two larger baits will be accompanying use up there. Hopefully the salmon that have been in the area are still hanging out. The orange/hot pink combo are killers for salmon. And since we have a trout lake here in town and the trout too enjoy the color combo I figured what the heck and did some in a couple small baits for there. Of course Crappies will also hit this color combo so they'll kind of get double duty.

The createx fluorescent orange got a liberal dose of tangerine pearl and pineapple pearl. The hot pink got a shot of pearl magenta and white pearl. The blue is simply thinned out transparent createx blue that got a clear coat with some Delta blue to purple color shift in it to make it bounce in the light a little.
« Last Edit: 03/09/20 16:59 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Getting ready for the "Great Lake"....Superior
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/20 23:00 UTC »
Sweet bait’s there Tom.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/20 06:28 UTC »
Good looking paint.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/11/20 21:51 UTC »
Nice.  We need a thumbs up emogi.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/14/20 17:26 UTC »
We need a thumbs up emogi.

That we do. Listening Kyle?

We're going up to Two Harbors for a couple days. Heading out in the morning. I'll be throwing baits by 2 pm....unless the wind decides to play games and that lake is notorious for games that involve wind. Taking neoprene knee boots just in case. The lake's water level is the highest its been since in the 60's. Anyway, there are Coho playing right now and the trout are starting to move back towards the lake so I'm hopeful. I could use five right about now for some chow....a couple for the plate and three to smoke sounds about right.

The two larger lures are packed in the tackle bag along with some #4 spinners made entirely from Do-It stock. Gold with an orange powder paint dip about 1/3 of the way up on the gold body's end and with an orange bead just ahead of the #4 Gami treble hook. Hopefully I'll have some fish pictures for showing here.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/16/20 08:01 UTC »
That we do. Listening Kyle?

We're going up to Two Harbors for a couple days. Heading out in the morning. I'll be throwing baits by 2 pm....unless the wind decides to play games and that lake is notorious for games that involve wind. Taking neoprene knee boots just in case. The lake's water level is the highest its been since in the 60's. Anyway, there are Coho playing right now and the trout are starting to move back towards the lake so I'm hopeful. I could use five right about now for some chow....a couple for the plate and three to smoke sounds about right.

The two larger lures are packed in the tackle bag along with some #4 spinners made entirely from Do-It stock. Gold with an orange powder paint dip about 1/3 of the way up on the gold body's end and with an orange bead just ahead of the #4 Gami treble hook. Hopefully I'll have some fish pictures for showing here.

Loud and Clear from here  8)

Stick a biggun'

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/16/20 16:43 UTC »
We headed up Sunday AM and got to Two Harbors just before 1. We went straight to Carole's quilter to drop off two for stitching and picked one up to come home with us. Then it was to the cabin to check things out. We had to stay on the road due to 30" of snow in the drive and a 5 foot berm of snow across the entry. Then I went out on the breakwater to cast.

No pics, no fish. Story of my life....shoulda been here two weeks ago. Felt good to fling a spinner 150 feet for a change and then feel that #5 blade dig water as it comes back in.

Lots of people casting the breakwater lately, Sunday afternoon was no exception. I fished a couple hours then the hungry button went off so we checked into the motel and went to Earthwood Inn for a beer and early dinner. A couple of the locals that I fish with were there and they joined us so we had about three hours of chatting and laughing. Felt good to not hear about the virus for a couple days.

Today we followed Wisconsin Highway 35 from Superior to Nelson, Wis then back home. Nice laid back drive. The trip was designed as a quickie but we sure enjoyed it.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they