Author Topic: Do-it mold SUB-3-AY Stand up jig weedless hooks  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Luckyjinks59

• Minnow
Looking for hooks that will work with the SUB-3-AY mold. Unable to find any Eagle Claw 1623. Is there another hook that works without modifications to the mold?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Do-it mold SUB-3-AY Stand up jig weedless hooks
« Reply #1 on: 01/03/21 15:33 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums, Lucky.

What type of jig/lure does the mold make?  I checked the couple stand-up head molds and none take a 1623 Eagle Claw hook and sub-3-ay comes up unfound in the mold search.

« Last Edit: 01/03/21 15:37 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/03/21 15:51 UTC »
 This is the mold style he has... I would modify it for a better hook anyway.... Pick a 28-30* hook of your choice.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/03/21 16:01 UTC »
Thanks 21. I found a HD version in the paper catalog, different numbers and different hooks. When  I did a site search from the molds page using his info it came back as unfound.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/03/21 16:15 UTC »
Sorry... My link is "Out of stock"  >:(

I think you could take most reg/light wire 60* hooks and put a bend in the shank 1/4 inch away from the 60* bend and make them work.

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 01/03/21 17:54 UTC »
I remember reading somewhere awhile back that they were discontinuing that hook style. That is the reason I picked up one that takes the 413 Eagle Claw. Heavier hook but I figured I could use a smaller diameter hook.

Offline Luckyjinks59

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 01/03/21 17:56 UTC »
The hook eye is turned different than other hooks and I've tried to ben others only to break them

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/03/21 19:47 UTC »
You can easily bernd other light wire and regular wire bronze hooks to fit... Dont bend at the stock bend... Bend a 1/4 in down the shank. Ihave done thousands like this.

Offline Luckyjinks59

• Minnow
« Reply #9 on: 01/03/21 20:20 UTC »
It's the eye of the hook that has to be twisted to fit the mold.No problem bending the shank. Check out the picture of the 1623 hook.

Online 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/04/21 04:03 UTC »
I have these molds. I have been making baits for over 35 years. I sold 100 molds in the last couple years and still have hundreds. LOL...

I'm trying to help you achieve what you want. Drill out the mold to accept a regular eye hook. Then it will fit both. It is an easy modification that wont ruin the mold. The regular eye also helps protect your line from damage crawling on the bottom. That mold should never have had a flat eye hook.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #11 on: 01/08/21 09:45 UTC »
I have these molds. I have been making baits for over 35 years. I sold 100 molds in the last couple years and still have hundreds. LOL...

I'm trying to help you achieve what you want. Drill out the mold to accept a regular eye hook. Then it will fit both. It is an easy modification that wont ruin the mold. The regular eye also helps protect your line from damage crawling on the bottom. That mold should never have had a flat eye hook.

I had picked up a mold on Ebay that was modified this way, for use with regular 90 degree Aberdeen jig hooks. Much easier to find a variety of hooks that will work, and as you've mentioned, gets the hook eye up off the bottom. Easy mod to make.

Offline Luckyjinks59

• Minnow
« Reply #12 on: 01/10/21 10:37 UTC »
I might end up modifying the mold just not at that point just yet

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/10/21 12:34 UTC »
Yeah what 21 said you could do.

Offline Luckyjinks59

• Minnow
« Reply #14 on: 01/10/21 20:26 UTC »
I ended up modifying the mold today and I'm very happy with the results. Still have to bend the hooks to make it work